Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

The Default DBA Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2012 8:33 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:44 PM
As an accidental DBA myself I definitely think more defaults or guidance towards best practice would be a good thing. MS have made great improvements over the years in some areas, the main example coming to mind being setting individual service accounts (with 2012 seemingly creating individual logins and setting permissions for you automatically... though I've yet to find any docs explaining what's actually happening under the hood), but there's definitely room for more.

Considering the direction most other MS server products are going I'm surprised they haven't simply introduced a post-install check list yet. Eg, have a screen popup (until you tell it to go away and never come back) with a list of standard tasks that most installations need, tick boxes to check them off, and links to either get more information or better yet ask SQL to crack on and set it up for you. Experienced users can dismiss it immediately and continue as before, while newbies have a check list of things that if they didn't know about already, they now know they need to learn about and setup.
Post #1393051
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:36 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:37 AM
@SAinCA
I apologize - I sort of rushed through carving out the relevant chunks of code for you yesterday and I realized just now that I inadvertently made a judgement call for you: I set the default profile to be available to all users. If you decide to allow other users to be able to send mail [and they don't provide their profile] the default "sent from" profile will be yours. Maybe this isn't an issue or maybe it is, I just thought I'd give you a heads up.

It's the section commented
-- Grant access to the profile to all users in the msdb database

Sorry for the force-fed-setting...

Cheers,
Ken
Post #1393192
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:07 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:21 PM
Thanks for remembering! I'll insert a comment "Note to self: ..." in the code to revisit that!

I'll be a bit delayed as the current server is Win2003 and I can't install SQL2012 on it!

May just try out Win2012 while I'm rebuilding...

Cheers.
Post #1393203
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:19 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:44 PM
SAinCA (12/5/2012)

May just try out Win2012 while I'm rebuilding...

2012's definitely worth checking out, even with Metro / IFKAM it's a big improvement in terms of easy setup. Semi on-topic, the big thing we've noticed is the way that it fixes many of its own errors (after asking you of course). Eg, rather than a dumb popup telling you that component x is required before you can do an installation, so go find it, install it, and come back when you're done, it instead says "Hey, I know where that component is on the install media, or where I can download it from Microsoft, would you like to just crack on with it?" You even get an option to tell it not to prompt before reboots just get on with it, which is very useful with a new build not yet in production especially where an install requires multiple reboots. No more checking the status of a setup just to find it's be sat waiting for you to click ok for a reboot for the last 30 minutes.
Post #1393380
Posted Monday, April 15, 2013 12:36 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 7:29 AM
I really appreciate this script. Your script was mentioned in the discussion about dbWarden, so I came looking for it. While learning it and putting it to use I hit a couple bumps that I figured other might run into.
1. I was not familiar with SSMS templates and Ctrl+Shift+M to fill them in. A brief comment would have kept me from wondering why the script had those strange constructs while I fiddled with filling in our specific details.
2. The script initializes @operatorname twice while missing @displayname.
3. In the SQL for sending a test email, the script has a template field again instead of using @testemailto. This kept me scratching my head waiting for an email to arrive since it didn't cause an error to be reported.
4. For use with dbWarden, I added a conditional around creating the operator since dbWarden creates operators for it's own use.

I will definitely keep track of this script.

Thanks again.
Kelly
Post #1442451
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse