Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Identity Seeding Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:25 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:33 AM
Just curious

Anyone found a reason to declare an Identity column that wasn't (1,1)?
Sure, legacy data can cause you to start the seed higher, but you don't really NEED to make it different. And does anyone ever increment by more than 1?

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1390601
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:01 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:22 AM
Hi,

Yes i used to work with a credit card processing system that used to increment by 10 and started seeding at 10000. I don't know why that was chosen as the start no. and i can't really divulge why they incremented by 10 but it was necessary.

Thanks,

Simon

MCSE: Data Platform
MCSE: Business Intelligence
Follow me on Twitter: @WazzTheBadger
LinkedIn Profile: Simon Osborne
Post #1390639
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:23 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 10:38 AM
Yup, a few times. I've had to create tables that needed to start the identity at a specific value, for example if we are moving to a new system and not importing old data yet we want to pick-up where the old ID's left off, changing the seed is critical.

As for increment, I think the only time I've had to do that is when I'm building a table of ordered items where Date doesn't work as a good Order identifier and I want to leave room to add items in between. If you ever did any old-school BASIC programming with line numbers, using 10, 20, 30 etc was critical as there was always something that needed to be added. Same thing here.

So yup, on my end I've had to change the Seed and Increment a fair number of times :)
Post #1390657
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:42 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:23 AM
Replication...

How to post your question to get the best and quick help
Post #1390675
Posted Friday, November 30, 2012 8:01 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 11:15 AM
Once. Had an app that was freaked that they were going to run out of numbers so we seeded them to max negative value so that they could increment all the way through that to the max positive value.

They didn't really need it, but it sure made them happy.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1391329
Posted Friday, November 30, 2012 8:09 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:20 AM
I haven't done this myself, but I've seen discussions about self-managing identities in replicated systems. For example, if you have two offices and want to make sure that identities are unique , you can set it up so that one uses odd numbers (1, 2), the other uses even (2, 2).
Post #1391344
Posted Friday, November 30, 2012 8:18 AM

SSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 10:38 AM
Steve Thompson-454462 (11/30/2012)
I haven't done this myself, but I've seen discussions about self-managing identities in replicated systems. For example, if you have two offices and want to make sure that identities are unique , you can set it up so that one uses odd numbers (1, 2), the other uses even (2, 2).

Interesting idea... On one of the projects I'm working on now one of my initial ideas was to have unique ID's across every table (didn't want to use GUID due to overhead) so I seeded each table's PK from a unique 8 digit number. So for example UserID would be 10000000, AddressID would be 20000000 and so forth, and the thought was the first two digits of the ID would identify which type it was. It actually became more confusing for everyone, so I just went back to seeding everything from 1 to keep it simple. But I still like the idea of unique ID's across every table...
Post #1391359
Posted Friday, November 30, 2012 8:34 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:24 PM
I once had a fact table that could have more than 2 billion rows, but still less than a bigint, so I started with a negative seed so I could keep my identity column as an int.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1391368
Posted Friday, November 30, 2012 8:36 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 7:33 AM
Koen Verbeeck (11/30/2012)
I once had a fact table that could have more than 2 billion rows, but still less than a bigint, so I started with a negative seed so I could keep my identity column as an int.

Why didn't you want it as a bigint?

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1391370
Posted Friday, November 30, 2012 8:45 AM

SSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:24 PM
Stefan Krzywicki (11/30/2012)
Koen Verbeeck (11/30/2012)

Why didn't you want it as a bigint?

Because it takes up more bytes than an int?
On 2^31-1 rows (the maximum if you only take positive identity values) you take up 8,5 GB. If you take a bigint, for the same data, you consume another 8,5GB.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1391377
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse