Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Regulators, Mount Up Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:15 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 7:12 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Regulators, Mount Up

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1389554
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:27 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:56 PM
Regulation is a cloud that can have a bright silver lining.

Lets suppose that you have old systems ridden with tech debt and propped up by manual processes.
Those powers that be are so used to the situation that the idea that the tech debt or the manual processes are a problem just doesn't register. They are chasing the new shiny ball.

All of a sudden regulation comes along and lifts up the rock and shines a bright light underneath it and reveals the superating horrors squirming underneath!

Too many people have too much access to too much data almost certainly meaning a failed regulatory audit.
All of a sudden you have the impetus and support to fix a load of old problems and simplify the way your systems work. Do this well and not only will you pass regulatory inspection but you will also demonstrate the art of the possible, how good things could be if the prime focus was delivering something maintainable, scalable, flexible.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1389560
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:14 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 2:37 AM
@David: Wow, nice inspiring post on what I thought was a fairly turgid topic. I feel more motivated to get on with my day's battle against the systems already. I guess you are saying to look for the opportunity in everything - and you know what, you're right, otherwise this job ends up just being a pile of crud.
Post #1389579
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:26 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:11 AM
If you know like I know you don't wanna step to this.

Cheers
Post #1389659
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:10 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 5:53 AM
jfogel (11/28/2012)
If you know like I know you don't wanna step to this.
Then I suggest you find alternate employment. This is a big deal to people whose data you handle.

Steve, thank you for spelling HIPAA correctly, four times no less! (it's the little things) Some people can't even get it right on their resumes...

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1389691
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:27 AM

Old Hand

Hey dummy, look it up. Its part of the song.

Cheers
Post #1389701
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:32 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 5:53 AM
jfogel (11/28/2012)
Hey dummy, look it up. Its part of the song.
I apologize for taking your statement as a statement, rather than being hip to your bad music. Carry on.

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1389709
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:38 AM

Old Hand

Yes, its "my bad music" because I chose the title to the article. You aren't doing well this morning on this one so I suggest you let it go.

Cheers
Post #1389715
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:02 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:23 PM
jcrawf02 (11/28/2012)
Then I suggest you find alternate employment. This is a big deal to people whose data you handle.

I can enthusicastically agree with jcrawf02 here on these concerns. I've had my data exposed by people who really didn't care that much and I don't like it one bit. I'm sure accidents happen, mistakes are made, but any emphasis toward security here made by anybody gets my vote.

Security should be part of anybody's job who work in information technology, and not relegated to a few select specialties. I've heard all too many times that securing this or that is "not my job."

Post #1389808
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:25 AM

Old Hand

What is it exactly that has anyone thinking I don't care about data security? I quoted a line from the song that made up the title of the editorial and nothing more. Next I guess it will be that not only could I care less about security I kick puppies and steal from the elderly.

Cheers
Post #1389830
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse