Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Database Backup Strategy Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:47 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 07, 2014 4:55 AM
Dear,

Currently we are taking full database backup twice. There is no log backup in our plan. If transaction log grows larger, we just shrink the log file to 1 MB.

We have already implemented snapshot replication. It is scheduled to occur once in a day.

Please let us know the ins and outs of our database backup strategy. If you have better suggestion, please let me know.

Thank in advance.
Post #1389012
Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:29 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 6:32 AM
There is no good or bad backup strategy, if it meet yours company RTO (recovery time objective) and RPO (recovery point objective) then it is good. But why you truncate log, and why to 1mb? If there are any dml operations, that cause to grow log, than this is too small amount and bad idea
Post #1389024
Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:41 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:19 AM
shohelr2003 (11/27/2012)
There is no log backup in our plan. If transaction log grows larger, we just shrink the log file to 1 MB.

You can consider to change the recovery model to "Simple"
Note that file growth and shrinking is bad for performance. You should pre-size the files.
Post #1389030
Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:39 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, April 07, 2014 4:55 AM
Actually transaction log file keeps on growing, so my database file also grows which consumes more disk spaces. To make database size smaller, I shrink log file that serves my purpose.

If I set recovery model SIMPLE then how would I be benefited?

Please clarify me these things.
Post #1389054
Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:50 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:37 AM
Simple recovery will mark the log as re-usable as soon as a checkpoint happens within the DB which will prevent the need for regular log backups and will stop the log from growing and growing as it sounds like your not doing proper transaction log management.

Managing Transaction Logs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Administration/64582/

Also read the stairway to transaction log management section

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1389058
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 6:51 AM
shohelr2003 (11/27/2012)
Actually transaction log file keeps on growing, so my database file also grows which consumes more disk spaces. To make database size smaller, I shrink log file that serves my purpose.

If I set recovery model SIMPLE then how would I be benefited?

Please clarify me these things.

All inactive VLF's in the transaction log will be truncated upon Checkpoint. Causing the transaction log to stay at a minimum size.

Note: Long running transactions can still fill up your log and and ause it to grow
Post #1389059

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:17 AM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189275.aspx
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/380879/About-transaction-log-and-its-truncation-in-SQL-Se

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
संकेत कोकणे
Post #1389060
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse