Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Unable to start SQL agent with domain account Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:07 AM
Hi,

I've recently changed our SQL services to run under domain account instead of the local account they used to use. Since doing this i'm unable to start the agent. I got the follwing error in event viewer

SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: SQLServerAgent must be able to connect to SQLServer as SysAdmin, but '(Unknown)' is not a member of the SysAdmin role).

The account we are trying to start the agent with is both a local admin and has sysadmin role.

One thing i find strange is that when we connect to the instance using the service account and sql managent i can't see the properties of the agent as it's greyed out when i right click on it.

Any ideas on this - i've tried going back and running the agent as local but thet now returns the same error !

Thanks in advance,
Mike.
Post #1388463
Posted Monday, November 26, 2012 2:26 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:06 AM
mike.whorley (11/26/2012)
Hi,

I've recently changed our SQL services to run under domain account instead of the local account they used to use. Since doing this i'm unable to start the agent. I got the follwing error in event viewer

SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: SQLServerAgent must be able to connect to SQLServer as SysAdmin, but '(Unknown)' is not a member of the SysAdmin role).

The account we are trying to start the agent with is both a local admin and has sysadmin role.

One thing i find strange is that when we connect to the instance using the service account and sql managent i can't see the properties of the agent as it's greyed out when i right click on it.

Any ideas on this - i've tried going back and running the agent as local but thet now returns the same error !

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

Does the domain account have "permission to logon as a service" rights on the server?

Post #1388476
Posted Monday, November 26, 2012 2:40 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:58 AM
Mike

It sounds as if you didn't use SQL Server Configuration Manager to make the change. Maybe you used the Services applet instead? Try using SQL Server Configuration Manager to change to Local System or something like that, then change back to your domain account.

John
Post #1388481
Posted Monday, November 26, 2012 6:51 AM
SSC Rookie

learning_sql (11/26/2012)

Does the domain account have "permission to logon as a service" rights on the server?

Yes it does - just double checked it in user rights assignment in local policies on the server.
Post #1388590
Posted Monday, November 26, 2012 6:58 AM
SSC Rookie

John Mitchell-245523 (11/26/2012)
Mike

It sounds as if you didn't use SQL Server Configuration Manager to make the change. Maybe you used the Services applet instead? Try using SQL Server Configuration Manager to change to Local System or something like that, then change back to your domain account.

John

Thanks John - i didn't use the config manager, however I've tried your suggestions but sadly just the same, local user or domain user return exactly the same error as previous.
Post #1388596
Posted Monday, November 26, 2012 7:01 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Sounds like you might have to do it manually, then. Try creating a login for your domain account and adding it to sysadmin. Then use SQL Server Configuration Manager to change the service to start under that account.

John
Post #1388599
Posted Monday, November 26, 2012 7:14 AM
SSC Rookie

Sorry John i'm not quite sure what you are saying there ?

The service account does have a login to the instance already with sysadmin role.
Post #1388611
Posted Monday, November 26, 2012 7:18 AM

SSCertifiable

Ah yes, so it does. I'm running out of ideas now. How about creating a named local Windows account and seeing if you can start SQL Server Agent as that?

John
Post #1388613
Posted Monday, November 26, 2012 7:21 AM
SSC Rookie

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:06 AM
Is the domain service account a member of the local group "SQLserveragentusers$SERVERNAME$INSTANCE" or similar

EDIT - this maybe useful but we may have covered it:http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2317/running-sql-server-agent-with-a-least-privilege-service-account/
Post #1388618
Posted Monday, November 26, 2012 8:12 AM
SSC Rookie

John Mitchell-245523 (11/26/2012)
Ah yes, so it does. I'm running out of ideas now. How about creating a named local Windows account and seeing if you can start SQL Server Agent as that?

John

Created a new account and just made it a member for the SQLAGENT group as detailed above but still no joy.

My hunch is something in group policy is revoking the privs we are giving the domain account on this server.
Post #1388646
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse