Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

File Tables Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:18 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 6:23 AM
For further reading, see Compare Options for Storing Blobs (SQL Server)

Post #1386814
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:29 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 9:17 AM
I got the first two and then had to guess about the varbinary(max) - I missed any reference to this when I researched the question but felt the other options were obviously wrong. A good question that certainly made me think.
Post #1386824
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:54 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:45 AM
call.copse (11/20/2012)
demonfox (11/19/2012)
After reading the file table, I fell on varbinary(max) ..
need to read it again ..

thanks for the question..

I didn't see anything about that much either - it seems we are not alone on that failing...

The real problem here is that we asked to choose 3 options, but in fact one of the options we must not choose is correct. The question and its set of answer options are badly constructed, because although it is certainly true that FileTable is used in conjunction with FileStream when we select that option as one of the true ones we are told that we are wrong. That's utterly illogical, just plain crazy.

But it's good to see a question about this, because it's made me read up on it. So thanks for the question.

Tom
Post #1386843
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:07 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 6:23 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (11/20/2012)
The real problem here is that we asked to choose 3 options, but in fact one of the options we must not choose is correct. The question and its set of answer options are badly constructed, because although it is certainly true that FileTable is used in conjunction with FileStream when we select that option as one of the true ones we are told that we are wrong. That's utterly illogical, just plain crazy.

The option that appears to be under contention is the one regarding FILESTREAM as a data type.
FILESTREAM is not a data type. It is a storage option, used with the VARBINARY(MAX) data type, as evidenced here.

Post #1386850
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:27 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:45 AM
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (11/20/2012)
L' Eomot Inversé (11/20/2012)

The option that appears to be under contention is the one regarding FILESTREAM as a data type.
FILESTREAM is not a data type. It is a storage option, used with the VARBINARY(MAX) data type, as evidenced here.

It seems to be pretty normal to refer to varbinary(max) with the filestream attribute as a datatype. We shouldn't call it varbinary(max) without mentioning that it has the filestream attribute, because then we would be referring to a datatype with a limitation of 2Gbytes. "varbinary(max) with the filestream attribute" is a bit of a mouthful, MS (for example in the FileTable schema BoL page) uses "varbinary(max) filestream" for the type but that's still somewhat longer than just "filestream", which is probably why using just "filestream" to identify this type-attribute combination has become quite common. But yes, that's presumably why the question is as it is.

If someone wanted to be pendantic, perhaps they would say that the "correct" option is also wrong because it says "It is used in conjunction with the VARBINARY(MAX) datatype and FILESTREAM storage type" instead of "It is used in conjunction with the VARBINARY(MAX) with filestream attribute datatype" ("and the FILESTREAM storage type" is of course implied by the atrtribute). That of course would be ridiculous, but surely it's precisely the same level of pedanty suggested by the "not a data type" argument.

Tom
Post #1386859
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:45 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 1:23 PM
demonfox (11/19/2012)
need to read it again ..

+1 like many others

Thank you for the great question about this new feature. I haven't had much time to do any real research on all the new features of 2012, but this has given me the little push that I need to check this feature out.

Everything is awesome!
Post #1386887
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:33 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 1:46 PM
same here
Post #1386907
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:45 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 9:22 AM
demonfox (11/19/2012)
need to read it again ..

thanks for the question..

Yep, me too. Sad I didn't get the point, but I learned two things today.
Post #1386917
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:28 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:43 PM
I did not squeeze into the 17 percent that got it right... But thanks for the challenge!
Post #1386947
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:48 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:42 PM
Revenant (11/20/2012)
I did not squeeze into the 17 percent that got it right... But thanks for the challenge!

+1 - Only 16% right now.
Post #1386972
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse