Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Transaction log backp - 15 Mins Frequency Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, November 19, 2012 10:10 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 3:57 AM
Hi ,

If i set my Txn log backup frequency for 15 mins, what is the worse data loss? Is it for 14 mins 59 Secs? (Assuming disaster happens immediately after the txn log backup is taken.

Thanks,
Nagarjun.
Post #1386483
Posted Monday, November 19, 2012 10:17 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 1:31 PM
I'd say the absolute worst-case for data loss would be 15 minutes, but that's assuming that the transaction log is totally destroyed and unable to be recovered, and your log backups are on a disk or tape that is not affected by the disaster.

The far more likely scenario is that you'll be able to take a tail-log backup and restore up until the point of failure, making your probable data loss considerably smaller - much closer to zero.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Bob Pusateri
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008

Blog: The Outer Join
Twitter: @SQLBob
Post #1386487
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:25 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, October 27, 2014 10:08 AM
bommaka.nagarjun (11/19/2012)
Hi ,

If i set my Txn log backup frequency for 15 mins, what is the worse data loss? Is it for 14 mins 59 Secs? (Assuming disaster happens immediately after the txn log backup is taken.

Thanks,
Nagarjun.

What are you defining as a disaster? The drive where the databases fails? The server fails? The building where your servers are hosted from is destroyed?

If your not shipping your backups offsite or to a device which is external from your server every 15 minutes in line with the frequency of your transaction logs, there is the possibility that you could lose everything even though you have done backups, due to the fact that your server is dead, the files live on the server and no where else or the building is destroyed and you cant get into the building to get the server to plug it in at another data centre.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1386750
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse