Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Add an option to display the answer and explanation for the QoTD? Expand / Collapse
Author

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:55 AM
I'm not the best when it comes to answering the QoTD, and will sometimes turn to the "copy code into SSMS, run, and answer" so I can then see the explanation of WHY the answer is what it is.

To me, even though the QoTD points are the same as the points given on "Whose line is it anyways. The show where everything's made up and the points don't matter. That's right the points are just like tasteful" shirts to Steve Jones...

Basically, give an option for people to simply display the answer and explanation, giving them NULL points for the question...

Jason
Post #1385742
Posted Friday, November 16, 2012 9:59 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
Interesting idea. Is this any different than just picking a random answer?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1385764
Posted Friday, November 16, 2012 10:02 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Other than the fact I hate guessing, especially if I get it right?

Not really, I guess.

I think I'm trying to treat it like the points do matter (at least to me) and I don't like getting credit for something I guessed at...
Post #1385765
Posted Friday, November 16, 2012 10:07 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

I can understand that. Not sure how much development this would be. I'd like to expand the testing engine, and we have ideas and things on the dev list.

I'm not sure this is much of a priority in the list of all work to be done.

Post #1385766
Posted Friday, November 16, 2012 10:11 AM

Right there with Babe

I wouldn't think it would be a priority.

If this were a client asking me to implement something like this in our program, it'd be classed as a "wish-list" item. We may implement it, someday, but no promises...
Post #1385774
Posted Friday, November 16, 2012 1:14 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 7:35 AM
How about adding an extra answer in every question, something like: "I don't know"?

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Post #1385839
Posted Friday, November 16, 2012 1:40 PM

SSC-Dedicated

That's not a bad idea. Not sure how much coding is required to do an "or" for the answers here. Might be substantial.

Post #1385853
Posted Friday, November 16, 2012 1:44 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 6:54 AM
here's a worst kept secret:
for any question that is not today's question of the day,

the answer is in the newsletters:

so if you were looking at the QOTD for Monday, 11/12/2012, if you look at the Newsletter for Tuesday, 11/13/2012, you can see the answer and the explanation without directly answering the question.

For a Friday QOTD, you have to wait for following Monday Newsletter, but it's there too.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1385854
Posted Friday, November 16, 2012 5:36 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:58 AM
Lowell (11/16/2012)
here's a worst kept secret:
for any question that is not today's question of the day,

the answer is in the newsletters:

so if you were looking at the QOTD for Monday, 11/12/2012, if you look at the Newsletter for Tuesday, 11/13/2012, you can see the answer and the explanation without directly answering the question.

For a Friday QOTD, you have to wait for following Monday Newsletter, but it's there too.

I for one .... wish what Lowell has noted was NOT true, but alas and alack it is true.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #1385892
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse