Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Suspect mode error Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 8, 2012 8:48 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:50 AM
Hi Experts,

Getting below error when tried to recover db from suspect mode..dbcc checkdb didnt give any error but when tried to make it online give this

The log scan number (256603:182:1) passed to log scan in database 'PRD_dis not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup.
Msg 3414, Level 21, State 1, Line 1
An error occurred during recovery, preventing the database 'PRD_d(database ID 6) from restarting. Diagnose the recovery errors and fix them, or restore from a known good backup. If errors are not corrected or expected, contact Technical Support.
Post #1382538
Posted Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:12 AM

SSCrazy

What can be the cause for this?
Post #1382562
Posted Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:18 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 1:11 AM
Restore from backup.

IO problems, like most causes of corruption, or someone tried something stupid like replacing the data or log files with older ones, or maybe a HA/DR 'solution' like SAN snapshots that doesn't support SQL and hence is more a gamble than a solution

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1382567
Posted Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:01 AM

SSCrazy

Thanks Gail
Post #1384497
Posted Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:29 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:14 AM
I would suggest you to try third party utility such as recoveryfix for sql database repair software. This company providing a free trial version of software. You can get this software by performing search on Google.

Thanks
Post #1388438
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:18 PM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 3:20 PM
If only the Log File is corrupt you could try to attach only the Data File with:
sp_attach_single_file_db [@dbname=] 'dbname', [@physname=]'physical_name'

Example:
sp_attach_single_file_db @dbname='DataBaseName', @physname='C:\SQLServer\Data\DataBaseName_Data.mdf'

Edit :
you must Stop the Production SQL Server Instance in order to copy the mdf file to another location and attach to a Test SQL Server Instance.

Hope it help you
Post #1390858
Posted Friday, November 30, 2012 12:09 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Highly unlikely to work. SQL can only recreate the log file if the DB was cleanly shut down prior to the log being damaged/lost.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #1391064
Posted Friday, November 30, 2012 7:42 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 3:20 PM
Hello Gail, you are right... I completely forgot about that. ... I remember that I had to put it on Emergency Mode in order to recover data, because, we did not have a backup that help us to recover our data... we did not lost data, but I lost a lot of time due to our past backup process.
Post #1391309
Posted Saturday, March 2, 2013 12:15 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:36 AM
Hey Guys before few days my data source dropped into suppose method.I set data source using dbcc check db in urgent method and now it seems ok. But I don't know why this incident happens. does anybody know possible reason?
Post #1425886
Posted Saturday, March 2, 2013 1:48 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Corruption most likely, meaning something wrong with the IO subsystem. Can't say more without more info.

btw, checkDB is the last resort for fixing suspect databases, you should rather have restored a good backup

Gail Shaw

Post #1425899
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse