Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Replication Setup in Test Area Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:12 AM
Hi All

Not used to posting on these things and also just getting used to SQL as a whole, so please feel free to kick me in the right direction.

The Task:

I want to use replication to you guessed it replicate a Database from one server to another so I can then setup reporting from the replicated DB instead of the live/production DB.

Testing:

I have restored the database I want on to another server and have also restored it to the report server.

I have setup the publication and the subcriber ok, But when the publisher is creating the first snapshot it fails as it needs to have the Linked servers that are on the live box and not on the test area, Now for testing I do not want to have my test area to have a connection to the live enviroments.

Question:

So my question how do I either filter out what it fails on, or what is the risk of just putting the linked servers in place.

Thanks
Post #1381008
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 5:26 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 4:26 AM
recommend you create the relevant linked servers, with the same name as in production, just pointing to the equivalent development environment, e.g. you have a system Jacks in production, with a linked server to that system also called Jacks

In dev, create a linked server named Jacks that connects to the dev environment of the Jacks system.
this goes a long way in ensuring consistency across the various environments (DEV / UAT / PRD)

Post #1381018
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 5:45 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:12 AM
Hi

Thanks for the quick reply

The linked servers that are setup on live area all piont and are linked by server name.

so I am not sure how to re-point the linked servers that I will setup on the dev server to a dev enviroment.

or am I being a bit dence today,

Post #1381028
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse