Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Daily Differential Backup Job Failing Expand / Collapse
Author

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 4:54 AM
Good afternoon,

I have a SQL Job which performs nightly differential backups of all databases on one of my production servers. Unfortunately the Job failed last night but I'm struggling to work out the cause of the problem.

The SQL Job error is:

SQL error log shows:

Please note that the database name in the SQL error log is not the same name in the SQL Job error. Although I've masked the database name, I can tell you that there are different.

I also checked space on the NAS and there's plenty of it.

Any ideas?

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
David Edwards - Media lens

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
Howard Zinn
Post #1381005
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 6:04 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:17 AM
I cant see Error text

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
संकेत कोकणे
Post #1381038
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 6:55 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 6:42 AM
The output of the text in the log file viewer for a job is only the top X amount of characters, the error will be somewhere else down the output, so either query the sysjobhistory table to get the full output or log the output to a file which you can review should the error happen again.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1381058
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 7:02 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:08 AM
Must be the moon. I'm going through the same thing with a full backup that failed twice over the weekend. Once well before the time change and once after. The backup actually completed and then it said that the connection could no longer be resolved. Like you, I have plety o' space on the backup drive.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1381064
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 7:16 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Arrgghhh, the above output is actually the last part of the string from the job log history table so I'm afraid it's all I've got to work with.

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
Howard Zinn
Post #1381069
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 7:21 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 6:42 AM
You will need to set the job to log to an output file then in the properties of the job which will capture the full output so that it can be reviewed on another failure.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1381076
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 7:38 AM

Say Hey Kid

Thanks Anthony.

I've reconfigured the job to output the log to a text file.

Let's see what happens tonight.

Howard Zinn
Post #1381083
Posted Tuesday, November 6, 2012 9:35 AM

Say Hey Kid

It turns out that two of my databases didn't have full backups which explains why the differential backup job failed.

Thanks for the suggestion Tony!

Howard Zinn
Post #1381638
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse