Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Point in time restore, restoring past the point in time Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:37 AM
Restore database.

I never trust the GUI to do exactly what it says it is going to do, I prefer to do things in script, which is why that script button is a big thing for me as it allows me to see what the GUI is actually doing and I can make modifications when it misses little things out.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1380942
Posted Monday, November 05, 2012 3:10 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:27 AM
Thanks for your help.

Not good that the GUI doesn't work especially for people like me that don't have the knowledge to do it via scripts.

Post #1380948
Posted Monday, November 05, 2012 7:17 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:05 AM
Can you post a screen shot of the GUI so we can verify what options you should be selecting? Otherwise like Anthony stated T-SQL is the way to go. It is also much easier to use if you have several log files you need to restore IMO.

Joie Andrew
"Since 1982"
Post #1381071
Posted Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:13 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:33 AM
Just had the same problem here, someone accidentally deleted 7000 rows from a table so i was asked to do a restore to the dev server so we could get the data back.

I set it up in Management Studio to restore to 14:48, selected the relevant logs and set it off, only for it not to stop at 14:48 and restore to the end of the last log. I set up the restore again and scripted it out rather than running it to find that there was no stopat clause, I added it myself and ran the script and the restore worked.

My boss is telling me that using point in time via management studio only works if you're restoring over the same database or on the same server as the backup was taken. In this case it was a backup from live, restored to a dev database on a dev server it didn't work. He's not great at explaining stuff so if anyone could enlighten me on this i'd appreciate it.
Post #1381660
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse