Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Query to long time running........ Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 4:41 AM
Hello,

I've got to troubleshoot the following query but i'm lost since they've got one select "*" in the beginning of the query and in the where clause they got a like that i think its the problem.
I'm limited too in the field of the date but .... dont know how to check it!!! (i think ).

Can anyone tell me what should i do or should i do not do anything?
Sorry, thanks and regards

SELECT * FROM tblname WITH(NOLOCK)
WHERE FiledDate > '2012-11-01 00:00:00.000'
AND FieldDescr LIKE 'xptonumber%'
ORDER BY FieldCodDesc DESC
Post #1380638
Posted Friday, November 2, 2012 5:45 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 7:08 PM
You should take a look at Gail's article with suggestions to post performance issues.
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/
It might not affect performance, but you should beware of the dangers of using NOLOCK.

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1380640
Posted Friday, November 2, 2012 5:48 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:45 PM
If you take a look in my signature for the link regarding indexes/tuning, we can help you further.

The like is SARGable, no big deal. As is the date. The order by be hurting depending on the # of rows returned, and because you've got two non-equality conditions no index can cover both.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with the query as long as your end users are prepared for bad data from the use of NOLOCK on occassion.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1380641
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 3:21 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:26 AM
Any index on FiledDate OR FieldDescr column ? if not then create tow separate indexes.

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done
Post #1380952
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse