Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

can we connect to 64-Bit SQL server instance with 32-bit SQL server? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:12 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:17 AM
Hi,

I have installed sql server 2005 standard edition 32-Bit in my XP desktop (VDI).I tried to connect to one of my QA server using sql server authentication mode which is running on SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit....but no luck.Getting error 233, stating that sql server version missmatch and access denied or server not available.

My question is, can we connect to 64-Bit SQL server instance with 32-bit SQL server ? Please let me know...

Thanks,
Vamshi..
Post #1379205
Posted Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:15 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:20 AM
Yes you can use the tools of a 32 bit client to talk to a 64 bit server.

Have you tried to ping the server from your VDI, are the nessesary ports open between your VDI and the server and all other general troubleshooting steps taken?

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1379208
Posted Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:23 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Today @ 5:17 AM
Thanks for your reply.It may be some issue with the ports then.I will check with my network team.Thanks again for your reply..
Post #1379210
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse