Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Using the "IF" function in a column Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:35 PM
Is it possible to use the "IF" function in a column at design time as the value for that field? I do it regularly in Excel with no problem but I am new to SQL Server and have been unable to figure this one out. I have been using 3 of my own books plus the Online Books but to no avail. If I cannot do it in design, can I create a script (or a stored proceedure) that will do it at run time? Thanks, JRichards54
Post #1378036
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:48 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 5:38 AM
jrichards54 (10/28/2012)
Is it possible to use the "IF" function in a column at design time as the value for that field? I do it regularly in Excel with no problem but I am new to SQL Server and have been unable to figure this one out. I have been using 3 of my own books plus the Online Books but to no avail. If I cannot do it in design, can I create a script (or a stored proceedure) that will do it at run time? Thanks, JRichards54

SQL Server only permits constants as default values. You could use a computed column to generate (and contain) a value for you, or a check constraint to ensure that an INSERTED/UPDATEd value matches your criteria. In practice? I'd put the logic into the INSERT script.

Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this.

Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Post #1378040
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:22 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your insights and recommendations. Have a good day. JRichards54
Post #1378043
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:12 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:45 PM
ChrisM@home (10/28/2012)
jrichards54 (10/28/2012)

SQL Server only permits constants as default values. ...

True but... you can construct an IF-like syntax using CASE as a default as long as you don't reference any column names in the CASE:

CREATE TABLE #Temp
(ID INT IDENTITY
,Value1 CHAR(1) DEFAULT ('A')
,Value2 CHAR(1) DEFAULT (CASE WHEN GETDATE() > '2012-10-29' THEN 'B' END))

INSERT INTO #Temp (Value1)
SELECT NULL UNION ALL SELECT 'B'

SELECT * FROM #Temp

DROP TABLE #Temp

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1378084
Posted Monday, October 29, 2012 8:28 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 9:42 AM
In addition to expressions, you can reference user defined functions or non-deterministic functions for a column default.
However, a default can't reference other columns in the table, you would need a computed column or view for that.
Post #1378269
Posted Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:33 AM
Valued Member

dwain.c (10/28/2012)
ChrisM@home (10/28/2012)
jrichards54 (10/28/2012)

SQL Server only permits constants as default values. ...

True but... you can construct an IF-like syntax using CASE as a default as long as you don't reference any column names in the CASE:

CREATE TABLE #Temp
(ID INT IDENTITY
,Value1 CHAR(1) DEFAULT ('A')
,Value2 CHAR(1) DEFAULT (CASE WHEN GETDATE() > '2012-10-29' THEN 'B' END))

INSERT INTO #Temp (Value1)
SELECT NULL UNION ALL SELECT 'B'

SELECT * FROM #Temp

DROP TABLE #Temp

You wrote above: "as long as you don't reference any column names in the CASE:"

Thank you but this will not work for me as the VALUE in that column does change and that VALUE is necessary to accurately compute the result of the IF statement. The VALUE of that column (QtyInPkg) can vary from 14, 30, 60 , 90, 180, and 365 and these are all Integers and represent days. The "If" statement works just fine if I use the any of the constants but does not work if I use the column name (QtyInPkg). Thanks again and have a good day. JRichards54
Post #1381606
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse