Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

70-462: Can the Hyper-V environment be downloaded somewhere? Expand / Collapse
Author
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:26 AM
I too am on the hunt for hardware for this. My old laptop is XP. Looking at a laptop with Windows 8 and 8 Gig RAM. I think Hyper V comes with Windows 8 not sure if it all versions. Hoping this will be good enough to get me going.

E.
Post #1380916
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 2:11 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:29 AM
Ells (11/5/2012)
I too am on the hunt for hardware for this. My old laptop is XP. Looking at a laptop with Windows 8 and 8 Gig RAM. I think Hyper V comes with Windows 8 not sure if it all versions. Hoping this will be good enough to get me going.

E.

According to this article, you'd need Windows 8 Pro.
Client Hyper-V

8GB of RAM is enough, just don't run all the VMs at once

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1380922
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 2:22 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:40 AM
I have just bought a used mid 2011 i5 2,3 Ghz Mac Mini that will be my new friend for this

I will fit 16 GB memory and a second disk (a small SSD). I will use this SSD for the VM's OS and the VM's data will be stored on the second 7200 rpm disk.
This should be enough to get me going, maybe a bit too much for the study environment but I guess it will be handy anyhow to have a dedicated test server available.
And If I decide to sell it, it will keep its value somewhat longer than comparable PC's

And the Mac looks good too and only consumes about 10W!

Hope to get it and the parts soon so I can get giong!

Post #1380927
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:36 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:27 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone tried to prepare the environment using VirtualBox? Prepare 2 server and 4 SQL Server machines - sounds not so difficult.
Or Microsoft-based VM is mandatory here?

Thanks.
Post #1421994
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:48 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

I don't think it is mandatory, but in order to use VirtualBox it will need the following features (not sure if it has them or not):

* multiple shared networks between the machines (needed for clustering)
* parent/child VMs (differencing disks), otherwise you'll need a whole lot of storage since you need 5 VMs

The reason it's easy to use HyperV, is because you typically would set up a test environment like this using Windows Server, which has HyperV already installed. (I think if you have Windows 8 Pro you also have HyperV)

Post #1421996
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:59 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 7:44 AM
Hi.

I'm in the midst of setting up the lab environment. I have a server borrowed from work with 8 GBs of RAM and 140 GBs of hard drive space. I've got Hyper-V installed and working.

I've read over the great advice in this thread and the various links mentioned. Unfortunately I am finding that I'm still not quite clear on what is being suggested in terms of the setting up the 6 VMs.

I think I understand the idea of the parent/child differing disks configuration for SQL-A, SQL-B, SQL-C and SQL-D (although I have one big question which I ask below) but what about the DC and SQL-Core VMs? Is the idea that the DC and SQL-Core VMs do not need to be a part of this parent/child differing disks arrangement? Instead, these are set up as 'regular' VMs?

Koen suggests installing SQL Server on the parent virtual disk first. Does this mean we don't follow the install instructions in Chapter 1 of the training kit then, which seem to suggest we do the SQL install separately on each of SQL-A, SQL-B, etc and use this Kim_Ackers domain account (also meaning the DC needs to be in place first).

If somebody can add some clarity for me, I would be most appreciative!

Post #1451847
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:31 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:27 PM
Can't say much about Hyper-V. I simply installed all VMs on VirtualBox, connected them into one network and read half of the 70-462 book doing practice exercises - everything is working fine.
Post #1451879
Posted Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:10 AM

SSChampion

netmikem (5/11/2013)

I think I understand the idea of the parent/child differing disks configuration for SQL-A, SQL-B, SQL-C and SQL-D (although I have one big question which I ask below) but what about the DC and SQL-Core VMs? Is the idea that the DC and SQL-Core VMs do not need to be a part of this parent/child differing disks arrangement? Instead, these are set up as 'regular' VMs?

Koen suggests installing SQL Server on the parent virtual disk first. Does this mean we don't follow the install instructions in Chapter 1 of the training kit then, which seem to suggest we do the SQL install separately on each of SQL-A, SQL-B, etc and use this Kim_Ackers domain account (also meaning the DC needs to be in place first).

It's been quite a while now, and I'm not sure if the DC was part of the differencing disks. It is a small VM, so it doesn't really matter. The Core certainly was not, as it is a seperate install. Regarding the SQL Server set-up already done on the parent: if you do it once, you should know how to do it, so there's no need to repeat it 3 times. The only special one is the installation through the command line on the SQL-core machine, that's the one you should really practice.

Post #1452443
Posted Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:40 PM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 7:44 AM
I've made quite a bit of progress (after many hours) and have learned much in the process.

I now have the lab environment setup except that my VMs have no internet access. I've played around quite a bit and it seems once I use static IPs for my VMs, as instructed in the training kit, I lose internet access. However, if I use DHCP, I can access the internet from the VMs.

When using static IPs (via the netsh interface command), I notice there is no default gateway given but I'm not sure that is the issue.

I think I can press on without internet access but I think it would be preferable if it was available on each VM.

If anybody has faced these issues also and resolved them, I'd like to hear how you solved them!

Post #1454295
Posted Sunday, May 19, 2013 1:05 PM

SSChampion

netmikem (5/18/2013)
I've made quite a bit of progress (after many hours) and have learned much in the process.

I now have the lab environment setup except that my VMs have no internet access. I've played around quite a bit and it seems once I use static IPs for my VMs, as instructed in the training kit, I lose internet access. However, if I use DHCP, I can access the internet from the VMs.

When using static IPs (via the netsh interface command), I notice there is no default gateway given but I'm not sure that is the issue.

I think I can press on without internet access but I think it would be preferable if it was available on each VM.

If anybody has faced these issues also and resolved them, I'd like to hear how you solved them!

If you want internet access, you need two network adapters: one for internal communication between the servers, and one for external communication (the Internet). The internal will have fixed IPs like in the training kit, the external one will use DHCP to connect to the web. If you want to do clustering, you'll need an extra network adapter for clustering traffic.

Post #1454364
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse