Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

connecting sql server over the internet Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, November 3, 2012 8:29 AM
Hi all,

i'm new to sql server 2008 and i would like help with connecting two pc's over the internet

i've installed sql server 2008 (express) and sql server management studio on two pcs i have..

i have one connected to the internet via my home connection and the other via wifi hotspot from my htc

what do i need to do on each pc to get access from one pc to another?

thank for reading

peter - confused.com
Post #1377874
Posted Monday, October 29, 2012 3:37 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 11:46 AM
peterjb44 (10/26/2012)
Hi all,

i'm new to sql server 2008 and i would like help with connecting two pc's over the internet

i've installed sql server 2008 (express) and sql server management studio on two pcs i have..

i have one connected to the internet via my home connection and the other via wifi hotspot from my htc

what do i need to do on each pc to get access from one pc to another?

thank for reading

peter - confused.com
I can't really understand what you want to do. Could you please elaborate your question?

My blog
Post #1378487
Posted Monday, October 29, 2012 7:28 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, November 3, 2012 8:29 AM
Hi Ignacio A. Salom Rangel,

what i'm wanting to do is to have a remote pc connecting to my database on another pc via the internet.

i believe i need to setup this using sql server configuration manager, but i'm not sure what i need to do on each pc to make it work

best regards

peter
Post #1378533
Posted Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:38 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Today @ 4:14 AM
You are going to need to ensure that you know what ports SQL is listening on and ensure that the firewalls of your end pc, DSL/cable router and any ISPs involved are not blocking those ports. You will also need to know the IP address your DSL/Cable modem is pulling, as that is the IP you will have to specify from your management pc. In your DSL/Cable router you will need to ensure that port forwarding is setup so that any traffic for the SQL ports is forwarded to the pc hosting SQL.

Joie Andrew
"Since 1982"
Post #1378734
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse