Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

DBA Support Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 10:15 AM
I also for security purposes cannot supply the metrics. But we have two DBA's who manage the various machines and databases. We have at least three environments on common virtual servers those being production, dev/test, and rip_and-tear. We also have a few SQL installations on workstations for personal data analysis, cube and pivot table development, and high risk manipulation and programming. We have sql 2000 through SQL 2012 all running in one capacity or another. The database size is from really small to almost large. And we manage metadata, tabular, spatial, and document and image data. We also manage the SQL in the back-end of SharePoint.

Management tools include a collection of scripts, alerts, and monitors to check the health and well being of the servers and the data. This collection is being reviewed, researched, and expanded as time allows and need demands.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1377690
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 10:55 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:34 AM
We don't organize by number of databases...we each have 10-15 servers to be responsible for. I too was an accidental SQL Server DBA at my first job. I was actually trained as an Oracle Programmer, but that had to change quickly. Eventually I moved on. But how I wish I could go back to that first job knowing what I know now. The things I struggled with setting up and figuring out how to do....could have done it so much easier.

-SQLBill

Post #1377746
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 11:52 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, October 26, 2012 12:03 PM
Small business. I am a developer. 'Captive' DBA, I am the only option we have.
One SQL server 2008R2, Two databases (one production on test). 40GB data. Hosted in Cloud IaaS.
I have automated backup (daily full and log), index rebuilding. log shipping using Sql server maintenance plans.
I have not set the email notifications. I audit the server about once every two weeks.
What concerns/scares me is what I may be missing or am unaware of.

I am curious to know about - 'a day in the life of a DBA that manages thousands of databases (like some of the responders have mentioned)'.
Post #1377767
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 1:01 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:06 AM
I manager over 650 databases across 30+ instances. 2005, 2008, 2008R2. Several terabytes of data to 10-20 GB to 300 MB for the sizes of databases. Typical day - answering questions, migrating applications to 2008 from 2005, automation and reviewing SCOMS alerts, and restoring production to test environment for process testing.
Post #1377798
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 3:55 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:57 AM

12 server instances
6600+ databases

Various production, test, BI, reporting servers/DBs.

Prod DBs range from 2MB to 15GB
BI/reporting DBs from very small to 500GB

2 "DBAs"; I'm the only official DBA, my boss does much of the work also.
I do not do any server maintenance, upgrades etc., a senior sysadmin does that.

When I started everything was already very automated.
My typical days are monitoring servers, adhoc requests, "data troubleshooting/updates", and BI/ETL projects.
BI has been getting more and more part of my workload.

Post #1377889
Posted Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:05 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:06 AM
Developer, originally in Fortran, Cobol and RPG (I go back a few years), eventually migrated to Office/VBA, recently to Access/Sql Server. Accidental and unintentional DBA, along with still being a developer, hardware maintainer, operator and generally chief cook and bottle washer. I am the -only- IT person in the shop, so I do everything. There are two servers, one running a web site, the other our internal databases. One instance of SQL Server Express 2008 R2 on each, one database on the web server, seven on the internal one. 150MB for largest database, others much smaller, but growing. Especially with all the Access/SQ Server development, far too much for me to handle properly, but it beats being bored.
Post #1377938
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:31 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 5:50 AM
Catching up on emails and I saw this editorial. My last post we had 3 servers and about 15 databases, and about a year ago I took a new job. At the interview I was told there were 20 instances with 50 databases. I am now managing 88 instances and over 1200 databases. It has been challenging, but a lot of fun as well, it has certainly accelerated my learning and I have learnt power shell to manage my time, otherwise I would be overwhelmed.

Now for some consolidation...
Post #1378032
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:06 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:54 PM
Started off as an accidental DBA and now turned it out to be a career - absolutely love it!

I look after approx 25 x SQL Servers
Post #1378055
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse