Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

SQL Server Documentor Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:19 PM
Hello David,

Glad you find the script useful. I will be updated it soon with additional features so look if an update sometime in August.

Thanks,

Rudy

Post #1473184
Posted Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:30 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:04 AM
Highly suggest to look into : SQL Server & Windows Documentation Using Windows PowerShell by Kendal Van Dyke

It collects much more info and is flexible.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
HTH !
Kin
MCTS : 2005, 2008
Active SQL Server Community Contributor
Post #1527147
Posted Monday, September 29, 2014 7:03 AM
Old Hand

SQLQuest29 (1/2/2014)
Highly suggest to look into : SQL Server & Windows Documentation Using Windows PowerShell by Kendal Van Dyke

Why would I use PowerShell when the information you need can be collected with T-SQL scripting. Maybe you could create the PowerShell and post the script?

Personally I'm not into PowerShell, feel like is a programming language for System administrators and Database administrators.

Post #1620791
Posted Tuesday, September 30, 2014 4:59 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:50 AM
Have the earlier comments been incorporated into this script?
Post #1621148
Posted Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:39 AM
Old Hand

Robert Sterbal-482516 (9/30/2014)
Have the earlier comments been incorporated into this script?

Sorry about the delays. I haven't added the changes yet to the script here. However, I am creating a newer version (with the changes) so that the script executes as a stored procedure and saves the data into table. This will allow for the creation of a nice report.

Once completed, I will update this site.

Thanks,

Rudy

Post #1621252
Posted Tuesday, September 30, 2014 11:03 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:04 AM
Rudy Panigas (9/29/2014)
SQLQuest29 (1/2/2014)

Why would I use PowerShell when the information you need can be collected with T-SQL scripting. Maybe you could create the PowerShell and post the script?

Personally I'm not into PowerShell, feel like is a programming language for System administrators and Database administrators.

Because it is easy to automate using PowerShell. Kendal has put in a lot of efforts and the script that he does a lot of better checks than u have. So its better not to reinvent the wheel.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
HTH !
Kin
MCTS : 2005, 2008
Active SQL Server Community Contributor
Post #1621317
Posted Tuesday, September 30, 2014 1:59 PM
Old Hand

[/quote]

Because it is easy to automate using PowerShell. Kendal has put in a lot of efforts and the script that he does a lot of better checks than u have. So its better not to reinvent the wheel.[/quote]

Hey, all power to PowerShell developers! If there is a better script then please use it. I and others that have tested and used this script have found it to work very will and fits their needs. I didn't write the script to compete, just to provide a way to get useful information from within SQL Sever itself.

I personally don't spend time in PowerShell as I would rather spend my time learning more on performance tuning/enhancements, high availability and disaster recovery.

Thanks for your comments :)

Rudy

Post #1621370
Posted Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:07 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:50 AM
A couple notes... I'll get notification if you post in the discussion when you update the page... or at least I hope I will....

Coming up with Powershell wrapper for a t-sql script might be useful for someone interested in powershell. For logistical reasons I really appreciate that the script is in t-sql. A SQL connection to a site is generally easier for me to obtain than GUI session.
Post #1621406
Posted Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:50 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 12:42 PM
Nice script, though I see one issue: the SSIS service registry key name MsDtsServer is valid only for SQL2005. It was subsequently renamed MsDtsServer100, MsDtsServer110, and MsDtsServer120 in SQL 2008, 2012, and 2014 respectively. This of course could just be handled with a CASE based on SERVERPROPERTY ('productversion').

You might also want to gather the accounts under which the services are running, which you'll find in the ObjectName value under the service key, e.g. something like:
EXEC xp_regread N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', @REGKEY, N'ObjectName', @MSSQLServiceAccountName OUTPUT, N'no_output'
Post #1621644
Posted Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:39 AM
SSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:12 AM
Rudy, hi!

Regarding this portion of script :
-------------------------------------
--> SQL Server Settings <--
EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1;
GO
RECONFIGURE;
GO
SELECT
[name]
,[description]
,[value]
,[minimum]
,[maximum]
,[value_in_use]
INTO #SQL_Server_Settings
FROM master.sys.configurations
GO

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 0;
GO
RECONFIGURE;
GO
----------------------------------------------

There's no need to neither switch advanced options ON, nor OFF, because "select * from master.sys.configurations" will return the same amount of information in both cases.
I mean this option doesn't affect the amount of records returned by select.

Regards,
Andrey.
Post #1621655
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse