Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Can i install sql server 2008 r2 on windows server 2008 r2 which has active directory users and computers Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 19, 2012 10:18 PM
Hello friends,

Iam a newbie to sql server dba tasks,

I want to install sql server 2008 r2 enterprise edition on my laptop where os is windows server 2008 r2 (which consists of active directory users and computer), i read that installing sql server 2008 r2 on windows server 2008 r2 with active directory users and computers is not a preferred plan , so i want clarification regarding what are the drawbacks when i install sql server 2008 r2 on windows server 2008 r2 where active directory users and computer has already been set, and also what are the drawbacks if i install sql server in windows server where its not having ADUC.

and also iam looking for the solution without installing another windows server on virtual machine if possible.

Looking forward for your reply..

Thank you..
Post #1372796
Posted Monday, October 15, 2012 10:10 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 12:14 PM
by "Active Directory Users and Computers" do you mean that the machine is a domain controller?
Post #1372801
Posted Monday, October 15, 2012 10:25 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Yes.. Installing ADUC nothing but Domain Controller.. kindly lemme know drawbacks and benifits of installing sql server on Domain Controller and a normal Windows Server
Post #1372810
Posted Monday, October 15, 2012 10:27 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:47 AM
vamsi056 (10/15/2012)

I want to install sql server 2008 r2 enterprise edition on my laptop...

Wow, enterprise edition on laptop? I can understand installing Developer edition, but Enterprise which cost many $?
You shouldn't install SQL Server on Domain Controller, because "There are specific security restrictions when running SQL Server in this configuration and given the resource demands of a domain controller..."
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2032911
Post #1372813
Posted Monday, October 15, 2012 10:31 AM
Grasshopper

Yes i read this article

i only have one Laptop , can i run sql server on a normal windows server ? i can but this makes me to not have the option of creating users and computers so that i can work with sql server assigning roles and permissions.. (which are based on windows authentication). Hope you understand what iam saying. provide me a clear cut solution with or without virtual machine
Post #1372820
Posted Monday, October 15, 2012 10:41 AM
SSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:47 AM
vamsi056 (10/15/2012)
Yes i read this article

i only have one Laptop , can i run sql server on a normal windows server ? i can but this makes me to not have the option of creating users and computers so that i can work with sql server assigning roles and permissions.. (which are based on windows authentication). Hope you understand what iam saying. provide me a clear cut solution with or without virtual machine

And do you read this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx
in section: Installing SQL Server on a Domain Controller
you can read that:

For security reasons, we recommend that you do not install SQL Server 2012 on a domain controller. SQL Server Setup will not block installation on a computer that is a domain controller, but the following limitations apply:

You cannot run SQL Server services on a domain controller under a local service account.

After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the computer from a domain member to a domain controller. You must uninstall SQL Server before you change the host computer to a domain controller.

After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the computer from a domain controller to a domain member. You must uninstall SQL Server before you change the host computer to a domain member.

SQL Server failover cluster instances are not supported where cluster nodes are domain controllers.

SQL Server Setup cannot create security groups or provision SQL Server service accounts on a read-only domain controller. In this scenario, Setup will fail.
Post #1372825
Posted Monday, October 15, 2012 10:48 AM
Grasshopper

Yes i read.. i understand that concept,

I want solution shall i install anther windows server on virtual machine and making it as domain controller , and i will install sql server on my regular os windows server (which becomes domain member) ? is this the only the solution ? Kindly help

Thanx...
Post #1372829
Posted Monday, October 15, 2012 11:24 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:46 PM
SQL onto a regular domain member, another machine as the DC. It is very strongly recommended not to ever install SQL Server on a domain controller.

p.s. A laptop that's a DC and running enterprise edition???? Demo machine?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1372842
Posted Monday, October 15, 2012 11:26 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:43 AM
vamsi056 (10/15/2012)
Hello friends,

Iam a newbie to sql server dba tasks,

I want to install sql server 2008 r2 enterprise edition on my laptop where os is windows server 2008 r2 (which consists of active directory users and computer), i read that installing sql server 2008 r2 on windows server 2008 r2 with active directory users and computers is not a preferred plan , so i want clarification regarding what are the drawbacks when i install sql server 2008 r2 on windows server 2008 r2 where active directory users and computer has already been set, and also what are the drawbacks if i install sql server in windows server where its not having ADUC.

and also iam looking for the solution without installing another windows server on virtual machine if possible.

Looking forward for your reply..

Thank you..

Have you merely just enabled the Active Directory Domain Services role or actually created a doman controller as well?
Do you have DNS installed locally?

If you have only enabled the role then sql server will be just fine with the AD tools locally.

SQL Server may run on a DC this is how Small Business server works, there limitations though as already pointed out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1372844
Posted Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:34 AM
Grasshopper

Yes iam running enterprise edition of sql server 2008 r2 but only for my practical purpose, for my selft not for an organizational purpose.

So shall i run sql server 2008 enterprise on windows server 2008 domain controller under local service account ? will this makes me to not use any features of sql server 2008 r2 ? or it will be just fine working on DC for practical purpose...
Post #1373050
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse