Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Disconnecting when done Expand / Collapse
Posted Friday, October 12, 2012 12:40 PM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I want to set up some standards at my company so that every time an application connects to the database engine, it does it's work and disconnects cleanly and immediately. However, I am a DBA and do not have much information about programming. Can you please tell me what is the best way to connect/disconnect to the database engine using OLEDB, ODBC, etc.? In our environment we use T-SQL and .Net. If you have any questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Post #1372325
Posted Friday, October 12, 2012 1:15 PM

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:45 PM
The best thing you can do is to Dispose of the connection object as soon as you are done with it. This can be handled in code a number of ways. Either explicitly call the Dispose method of the connection object, wrap the usage inside a USING block, or create your own data connection object that will do this for you. I created my own several years ago to make connections a lot easier on the code side and helps eliminate accidentally leaving a connection hanging open (which of course can trash your connection pool pretty quickly).

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1372335
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse