Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Disconnecting when done Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 4:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I want to set up some standards at my company so that every time an application connects to the database engine, it does it's work and disconnects cleanly and immediately. However, I am a DBA and do not have much information about programming. Can you please tell me what is the best way to connect/disconnect to the database engine using OLEDB, ODBC, etc.? In our environment we use T-SQL and .Net. If you have any questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Post #1372325
Posted Friday, October 12, 2012 1:15 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:07 AM
The best thing you can do is to Dispose of the connection object as soon as you are done with it. This can be handled in code a number of ways. Either explicitly call the Dispose method of the connection object, wrap the usage inside a USING block, or create your own data connection object that will do this for you. I created my own several years ago to make connections a lot easier on the code side and helps eliminate accidentally leaving a connection hanging open (which of course can trash your connection pool pretty quickly).

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1372335
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse