Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Master Database Recovery Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 10, 2014 6:24 AM
Hi all,

Is it possible to restore a Master database onto a new server (with identical build) using just copies of the MDF and LDF files from the old server? Or do you need a full backup of the Master?

...and also is it possible to do it this way for the MSDB?

Thanks,

Matt
Post #1370328
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:31 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:15 AM
I have, in the past restored a master database to anohter instance as a user database, then detached it and renamed the disk files to their original names and then plugged them into the original instance. I have done this for master model and msdb.

What is the particular problem you ae trying to resolve?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1370329
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:41 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, October 10, 2014 6:24 AM
Hi Perry,

Thanks for that - basically, we have a DR site and our Server Admins have configured WANSync to do regular, block-level copies of all the MDF and LDF files from the live server to a backup server. I was just wondering if these would be sufficient to restore a system database, or whether we would need BAK files instead (we are already creating them, they're just not as easily to hand as the MDF and LDF copies!)

Thanks
Post #1370337
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse