Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

ProcessInput() method Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 03, 2012 3:34 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, March 14, 2014 2:34 PM
Hi,

I have a requirement to see if any rows are present in the input. If they exist, I just have to set a uservariable to true and exit.
Even if there are input rows, when I run the below I see 2 msg boxes, one with value true and other with false. And finally my uservariable is set as false. Why does it get called twice? How can I fix this?

Dim bool As Boolean
Public Overrides Sub Input0_ProcessInput(ByVal buffer As Input0Buffer)
bool = buffer.NextRow
MsgBox("Case1:" & bool)
End Sub

Public Overrides Sub PostExecute()
MyBase.PostExecute()
Me.Variables.case1 = bool
End Sub

Thanks and Regards,
Praveena
Post #1368066
Posted Thursday, October 04, 2012 10:13 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Please let me know if you need more information or if my question wasn't clear. Anyone pls reply.
Can anyone please try and let me know if you have the same problem.
Post #1368545
Posted Tuesday, October 09, 2012 11:24 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 11:21 AM
venus.pvr (10/3/2012)
Hi,

I have a requirement to see if any rows are present in the input. If they exist, I just have to set a uservariable to true and exit.
Even if there are input rows, when I run the below I see 2 msg boxes, one with value true and other with false. And finally my uservariable is set as false. Why does it get called twice? How can I fix this?

Dim bool As Boolean
Public Overrides Sub Input0_ProcessInput(ByVal buffer As Input0Buffer)
bool = buffer.NextRow
MsgBox("Case1:" & bool)
End Sub

Public Overrides Sub PostExecute()
MyBase.PostExecute()
Me.Variables.case1 = bool
End Sub

Thanks and Regards,
Praveena

If this is script component used as a tranformation, Input0_ProcessInput will be called for each row, this could explain it running twice.

Not sure how you will get it to fire for no rows? You might be better served with a row count component.
Post #1370505
Posted Tuesday, October 09, 2012 11:56 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

thank you very much for the response. I found the below post which gives details of how ssis sends data in multiple buffers. ProcessInput method is called once for each buffer.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/435487/ssis-processinput-in-pipelinecomponent-gets-called-more-than-once

getting the rowcount seems to be a more valid souution.

thanks again
Post #1370518
Posted Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:27 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

I know what that link said, but I can absolutely confirm that when I use script component as a transform that it is called Per Input Row, not per buffer.
Post #1370529
Posted Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:00 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

herladygeekedness (10/9/2012)
I know what that link said, but I can absolutely confirm that when I use script component as a transform that it is called Per Input Row, not per buffer.

Are you sure it is not ProcessInputRow() that is called per row? I was using the ProcessInput() method.
Post #1370545
Posted Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:23 PM
SSC Veteran

whew, ok, yes, Thank You, and pardon my adding confusion!

I have used ProcessInputROW plenty of times, that's what is stuck in my head.

Sorry !
Post #1370554
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse