Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456»»»

The Importance of Validating Backups Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:07 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 12:33 PM
The Ola Hallengren maintenance scrips create SQL Agent jobs that use sqlcmd to instantiate the backup and maintenance procedures he has written. Rahul, if Ola isn't overly concerned about patents and the like, I don't think you need to be either mate. Nothing you've developed will be in the same league as his freely available procedures.
Post #1365466
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:24 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 3:05 AM
Rahul The Dba (9/27/2012)
Hi
this one is really a needed article.
But apart from this I want to know one thing, that is I have a store procedure made by myself for (xyz thing) "sorry can't disclose it", so how can i get that patented to my name? I am from INDIA.
Hope to see some helpful steps from your end.
Thanks.

You can only patent something original, that someone with the similar experience and knowledge would NOT be able to come up with easily. Therefore, it's extremely unlikely that you could patent a stored-proc to perform backups/restores/consistency checks. Also, the amount of 'prior art' in the area would likely preclude any possibility of you being able to claim originality. And then you'd have to pay a patent lawyer to convert the idea into patent language, and file with the relevant patent offices. It's an expensive, tortuous process that I'm glad Microsoft funded for my patents.

Give your proc away for free - you won't make money from it.

Paul Randal
CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005
Post #1365477
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:58 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 11:59 PM
Paul Brewer (9/27/2012)
The Ola Hallengren maintenance scrips create SQL Agent jobs that use sqlcmd to instantiate the backup and maintenance procedures he has written.

Superb! Thanks!
Post #1365492
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:16 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

There are fantastic scripts and articles/blogs on your sqlskills website Paul. Anyone with an enquiring mind can use them as a starter for ten and extrapolate out entire features sets and learn a lot about SQL. Add to that the MCM videos and its incredible what you put out for free. Thanks, sincerely.
Post #1365501
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:25 PM

SSCrazy

Thanks Paul!

Paul Randal
Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005
Post #1365505
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:46 PM
SSC Journeyman

I had to recovery a master database in production recently and used this blog as guidance, it worked an absolute treat.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/fort_sql/archive/2011/02/01/the-easiest-way-to-rebuild-the-sql-server-master-database.aspx

It's a possible approach to verifying production master, model and msdb backups maybe? Restore the backups to another, test instance to new user databases called master_live, model_live, msdb_live using WITH MOVE.

Regards
Post #1365512
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:24 PM

SSCrazy

It won't work because there are some structures that only exist in the master database and may cause corruption errors to be reported if master is restored as a user database and then consistency checked.

Paul Randal
Post #1365534
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:34 PM
SSC Journeyman

So the only way to verify the integrity of your master database backups on a busy production server is to use restore with verify only!
Post #1365540
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:41 PM

SSCrazy

Or to automate restoring master on a scratch server and running DBCC CHECKDB on it.

Paul Randal
Post #1365541
Posted Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:43 PM
SSC Journeyman

A scratch servers the way to go, thanks
Post #1365543
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse