Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Login failed for user 'NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService' 28000 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:37 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, December 8, 2013 12:35 PM
I am using SQL Server 2012 developer edition on Windows 7. I have the following error attempting to process a dimension: OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Login failed for user 'NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService' 28000

I am new to SSAS and I have researched this thoroughly but still having trouble and don't have a lot of knowledge of all the different types of accounts.

Thank you very much!
Post #1363144
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 1:09 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:04 PM
Are you trying to process the cube remotely?

Jayanth Kurup
Post #1363160
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 1:34 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Thank you for your help. No, I'm not trying to access the cube remotely. This is a brand new SQL Server 2012 developer edition install with the default accounts on a laptop. The error occurred when I tried to process a dimension I created. I've done a lot of Google searches trying to get an answer and this article on the link below seemed to be the most relevant information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224973

By changing the MSSQLServerOLAPService service to run under a domain or local user account that is a member of the OLAP Administrators group on the OLAP server and that has privileges on SQL Server, OLAP Services will be able to successfully process.

My settings are: In my SQL Server Configuration Manager>SQL Server Analysis Services>Properties>Log On As>This account: NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService [with a default password supplied during the install]

I don't know if the accounts are correct or how to find the OLAP Administrators group on the OLAP server in a Windows 7 environment. I am very new to SSAS.

Thank you!
Post #1363165
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 2:11 PM
Forum Newbie

SOLUTION FOUND

I found the answer here on the MS SQL Server Forum for Analysis Services:

Solution for: OLE DB or ODBC error:Login failed for user NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService error - create new login in the SQL Server database engine so analysis services can read the data in the database being analyzed.

Create login and grant access:

Open up SQL Server Management Studio [login to the database engine]>
Security >
Login (Right click) >
New Login >add user: "NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService">
select the database being analyzed in the drop-down list at the bottom >
User Mapping [click on the database in the list] >
In the window database role membership click on db_datareader [this grants access to read the data]

More details here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189751.aspx

Hope this helps!

Shahfaisal Muhammed http://shahfaisalmuhammed.blogspot.com

http://shahfaisalmuhammed.blogspot.com/2012/09/login-failed-for-mssqlserverolapservice.html

Thank you everyone who helped me - thank you very much!
Post #1363169
Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 10:36 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:36 AM
Thanks for the info, I was having trouble with this as well.
Post #1409014
Posted Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:33 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:52 PM
Oh my gosh I'm so glad you posted this. I've been struggling for hours and this was exactly the thing that fixed it. Thanks
Post #1430099
Posted Wednesday, April 3, 2013 3:52 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 8:25 PM
I have found another solution to the problem. Please see:

http://sqlserverandme.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-solution-for-ssas-deployment-error.html
Post #1438237
Posted Wednesday, April 3, 2013 10:43 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 6:52 AM
You can also find the Windows Service (services.msc) and change the login account to one that already has access to your DB.
Post #1438642
Posted Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:07 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 9:15 AM
Thanks, adding read right to SQLServerMSASUser$computer_name$instance_name solved the problem!

4x4 photos
Post #1446443
Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:54 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, December 16, 2013 1:46 PM
Yep, worked for me.
Post #1458479
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse