Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Continuing career with SQL Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, November 12, 2012 12:58 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:36 AM
rukhsar1101 (11/10/2012)
any book to reffer me?
i am tryn to learn sql server to get a job first later i will go for certificatn
pls reffer me a book which can heelp me givig some knowledge of sql 2008 for a job.
Thanks

see

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/books/65833/
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/books/76296/

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done
Post #1383533
Posted Monday, November 12, 2012 6:16 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:35 AM
Just google "top SQL books", you'll find plenty. No one can tell you which one is the best for you. You'll have to decide youself. You could alway get another one if the current one isn't clear enough for you.

You could also work you way through this list:http://www.katieandemil.com/katie-and-emil-tutorial-to-70-461-querying-microsoft-sql-server-2012

And you can download SQL 2012 (Evaluation or Express) here:
http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/get-sql-server/try-it.aspx

I'm working my way through this aswell.

Goodluck!!

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, read Jeff Moden's suggestions.

"Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten." ― Terry Pratchett, Mort
Post #1383653
Posted Monday, November 12, 2012 9:42 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:22 PM
Personally I like Joes 2 Pros. Their books are for the development path rather than the administrative one but still quite good.

Kenneth Fisher
I strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Post #1383749
Posted Monday, November 12, 2012 9:57 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
A DBA position is usually the last technical position of a much larger IT career.

Certifications are good in two senses, #1 You get to learn the general topics you are supposed to master, don't expect the certification per-se to do that for you and, #2 You show to prospective employers that you are serious enough to inverst time and treasure on it. Also, when hiring for an entry level position certifications might be the tie breaker that puts your resume on top.

Practice, build your own home lab, get a job as a sql developer, show interest, ask for dba related responsibilities.

Hope this helps.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1383757
Posted Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:43 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:07 PM
Sir,
U made me confuse ,,i was trying to get into sql admin job and u are telling me to go with sql developer ,,, :S
Post #1384284
Posted Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:03 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 2:09 PM
Yup, because companies often won't hire DBAs with 0 experience (and those that do may well be companies you don't want to work for). They'll hire devs with 0 experience though.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1384291
Posted Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:21 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 3:27 PM
Basically, yes. As a DBA you have the keys to the kingdom. With no experience they most likely won't give them to you. The only way I see getting a Jr DBA position with no experience would be a large corporation with a large DBA staff willing to train a newbie.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1384358
Posted Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:01 AM

Hall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:22 PM
Fortunately there is a fair amount of crossover knowledge and experience between SQL development and administration. How much cross over depends on a combination of factors. The job: smaller shops will ask you to do a larger variety of tasks but there is tends to be less variety of work in general, and larger shops tend to have a wider variety of work in general and may be willing to give you some of the easier tasks as training. And you: how enthusiastic are you about learning, do you volunteer for the lower end tasks that will help you to build and broaden your experience etc. I was a developer for a number of years (more than 10) before switching over administration and was able to step in immediately as a mid to senior level administrator.

Kenneth Fisher
I strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Post #1384580
Posted Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:11 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:07 PM
Ok...so basiclly i have to study for sql developer .
my ecp with queries is in sql 2000 and basic 2005.
what will u prefer me to study and which book too?
with knowledge i want to get certficat since.im out of feild for 3 yrs and want to come back in db .
please reffer me books as per my past knowledge and certification too.
Post #1385401
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse