Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Third Party Backup Technologies Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:50 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:59 AM
Hello,

I am looking at implementing a third party technology to allow me to compress and encrypt backups of databases in SQL Server 2005. The companies whose products I am looking at currently are:-

RedGate - SQL DBA Bundle
Quest - LiteSpeed
Idera - SQL Safe Backup v 7.2

If anyone is currently using any of the products, could you let me know what your experiences with them have been like please?

Does anyone knows any other products that I should be considering?

Thank you,

Andrew
Post #1360925
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:11 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:07 AM
Hi Andrew,

U can go for EMC® NetWorker® i.e. also a auto backup tool.

Regards,
Pratiksha
Post #1361735
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:17 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Thanks Pratiksha,

Does the software support compression and encryption of backups?

Regards,

Andrew
Post #1361810
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:17 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:43 PM
When asking about 3rd party tools and their features, I think you should also ask the companies directly. They may have just added a feature that we are not aware of, or be just about to add it so you will get it soon.

Also, most companies will give you a demo version so you can try it first hand to see how you like it. Different products may have the same features, but perhaps you prefer the interface and layout of one over the other.

Post #1363141
Posted Sunday, September 23, 2012 1:35 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:29 PM
Andrew Pruski (9/18/2012)
RedGate - SQL DBA Bundle
Quest - LiteSpeed
Idera - SQL Safe Backup v 7.2

If anyone is currently using any of the products, could you let me know what your experiences with them have been like please?

I have used both Litespeed and SQLBackup and currently using Litespeed at the moment. If it were my decision I would go with Redgate for the following reasons

• Licensing model and costs

• Quality of their UK support

• Features of their SQLBackup product

Don't get me wrong, Litespeed is a great product as is Idera's offering but my preference is Redgate's SQLBackup.
EMC Networker is indeed a great product but it's an Enterprise backup solution for all levels and not tailored for SQL Server, for instance SQLBackup and Litespeed both have object level recovery and their own Log Shipping plans which work extremely well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1363287
Posted Friday, September 28, 2012 4:21 AM

Ten Centuries

Thanks Guys, I'm currently trialling RedGate, Idera and LiteSpeed. Think we will probably go with Idera.

Andrew
Post #1365746
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse