Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Multi database to SQL Server at record level Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:26 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:04 PM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms172461%28v=sql.105%29.aspx
looks like sql compact support merge replication based on the above link.

Jayanth Kurup
Post #1360991
Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:13 PM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 4:54 AM
Jayanth_Kurup (9/18/2012)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms172461%28v=sql.105%29.aspx
looks like sql compact support merge replication based on the above link.

So DJ has some choices to make.

1) Stick with Access and maybe use SSIS to poll the data at regular intervals.

2) switch to SQL Server Compact Edition (3.5 SP2) and use merge replication. (I don't like this option - )

I don't see another way with his current setup. What do you think?

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
David Edwards - Media lens

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
Howard Zinn
Post #1361015
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:45 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 11:50 AM
Hi

Thanks for the replys.

As the application has already been designed from the ground up for use with the Access database I would rather stick with this as the backend database.

I have had a look at SSIS for SQL 2008 unfortuantly to use the Business Intelligence Development Studio I need to have SQL 2008 Professional which you get the developer edition with and unfortuantly I only have SQL 2008 Standard. I think I am going to have to look into writing my own VB program that sits as a service on the clients PC and updates the SQL Server Manually.

Regards

Dj
Post #1361153
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:08 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 6:42 AM
Douglasjbell (9/19/2012)
Hi

Thanks for the replys.

As the application has already been designed from the ground up for use with the Access database I would rather stick with this as the backend database.

I have had a look at SSIS for SQL 2008 unfortuantly to use the Business Intelligence Development Studio I need to have SQL 2008 Professional which you get the developer edition with and unfortuantly I only have SQL 2008 Standard. I think I am going to have to look into writing my own VB program that sits as a service on the clients PC and updates the SQL Server Manually.

Regards

Dj

BIDS is included in Standard Enterprise and Developer editions.

Just a case of installing it from the SQL installation which installs the "shell" version of Visual Studio, or if you already have VS2008 installed, adds in the references to business intelligence projects.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1361160
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:28 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Excellent, thanks Anthony. I will dig out the SQL software and have a look.
Post #1361167
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:42 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:04 PM
Just so you know , the access approach works fine when ur dealing with few touchscreen app, once the number of users increase the SSIS implementation is going to be a pain to manage and worse yet could cause all kinds of data management issues.

Also what happens when u upgrade the application ? chances are you will have users with two or three different versions of the access database depending on whether they choose to upgrade or not.

If you want to redesign the system it will be easier to do now , than have it limp around for a few years before finally moving to a scalable rdbms

Jayanth Kurup
Post #1361227
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:31 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:10 AM
You can definitely use Merge Replication if you have SQL Express on your local touch station replicate data back to the central DB. I`ve done it in the past for test equipment running continously and uploading results back to the central DB for global reporting.

You also place a filter on the replication so each touch DB only merges its own data, not capturing everyone elses results. Use the machine name. Works like a charm.
Post #1361266
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:45 AM
Grasshopper

Hi Yvan / All

Thanks for the replys, I have had a play with SSIS, but having problems, I have created my connections ect but had to install the Access Driver on my SQL 2008 server so it would see my Access accdb but its now complaining about the connection. Also having to create seperate flows for each table and each touchscreen will become a headache.

I am thinking about moving my touch to SQL but does the latest version of Express merge with SQL 2008. Also how heavy is express for PCs as my machines are very basic for the touchscreen system so wont do well with heavy overheads.

Cheers

DJ
Post #1361296
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:06 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:10 AM
You can still download SQL Express 2008, you don`t have to use 2012 version.

Of course, SQL Express would be one more thing running on the PC but it is not running all the time. The test stations we had were simple Dell desktop where most of them had 2G MEM. Unless there are continuously entering data on the Touch PCs, I am pretty sure it can handle the load, since you were using Access and I guess it is doing the job.

However, you can configure the memory usage to restrict SQL from grabbing too much memory, if you want to. Just look in the SQL Server Properties for that.
Post #1361304
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:10 AM
Grasshopper

Hi Yvan

Thanks for the info. To be honest I have never used VB.net to write to SQL only Access but its probably only a change of connection strings needed. So I will create another version of my program to write to a local SQL Database and see if I can get the merge working.

The only big question I have is its easy to deploy a blank Access Database with all the tables setup with my application, how do I deploy an SQL Express database with tables ect via my VB.net application as it wont just be a simple case of copying a blank database to each touchscreen unti.

Cheers

DJ
Post #1361309
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse