Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Should I configure the second sql instance to use same C:\ drive root directory path as the exiting Default instance? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:48 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:53 AM
What are the guidelines for the the root directory path for a second sql server instance being added to the same server where a 'default' instance already exists with its root directory on the same C: drive?

What will happen if I, instead, use the E: drive for the root directory for the second instance?
Post #1357726
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:58 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:21 AM
The instance will function just fine.

I like to move my default path off of C in the first place. I also like to have a different path for each instance.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1357732
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:00 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, November 7, 2014 2:00 PM
It does not matter where you let the SQL executable reside.

I never, ever use Drive C for anything. Not even the OS. I install all other instances on the same drive as the Default and then place the actual data files on the drives with the default instance system databases, but into their own respective directory.

I use one spindle for the executables, one spindle for the Data Files, one Spindle for the Log Files and one spindle for the Temp Database. For any really large database, or database that has high transactions, I place that one on its own spindle as well.

Andrew SQLDBA
Post #1357733
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:11 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:53 AM
But aren't there some 'shared' files/folders/etc. that will need to be updated (or written to) on the default instance's root directory when the second instance is installed?
So what happens to these shared files/folder/etc. if that second instance is installed on another drive?
Post #1357999
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse