Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQL 2008 express DB Mail Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, September 9, 2012 10:41 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 15, 2014 1:19 PM
I have SQL 2008 Express installed and running under windows 2008, with smtp service running as well.

The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 4 (2012-09-09T09:27:59). Exception Message: Cannot send mails to mail server. (Service not available, closing transmission channel. The server response was: Downstream server error). )

Any help with this will be appreciated

Thanks
Peter

pa
Post #1356495
Posted Sunday, September 9, 2012 3:47 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
The error message seems pretty clear. There's a problem with the SMTP service or connecting to it. You should talk to whoever supports your SMTP server.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #1356513
Posted Sunday, September 9, 2012 5:25 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Hello RBarryYoung,

Thanks for your quick reply. I will like to add that, I have purchased the Virtual Private Server (VPS) from ToggleBox.com and using it to run my SQL express edition under windows 2008. I own the VPS and can carry any administration of the Server as I wish. Unfortunately I am not Windows Server admin or knowledgeable enough to install and configure SMTP service. My VPS provider will not provide me such administrative service either.
Can you possibly help me with this? I can give you access to this server desktop for this reason. I really appreciate any help from anyone family with this challenge.

Thanks
Peter

pa
Post #1356519
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 8:33 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
pakwichek (9/9/2012)
Hello RBarryYoung,

Thanks for your quick reply. I will like to add that, I have purchased the Virtual Private Server (VPS) from ToggleBox.com and using it to run my SQL express edition under windows 2008. I own the VPS and can carry any administration of the Server as I wish. Unfortunately I am not Windows Server admin or knowledgeable enough to install and configure SMTP service. My VPS provider will not provide me such administrative service either.
Can you possibly help me with this? I can give you access to this server desktop for this reason. I really appreciate any help from anyone family with this challenge.

Um, no.

Reasons:

1. Accessing your server would be "doing it for you", not "helping you with this". I am a professional consultant and I charge my customers a lot of money to do this kind of thing for them,

2. I am not qualified to setup, configure, or troubleshoot SMTP anyway, and

3. Asking a stranger you met over the Internet, but have no other relationship with, to connect to your desktop or server to perform admin tasks is a really, really bad idea. Both for you (because of the potential damage that could be done, whether intentional or accidental), and for me also (because as a professional, anything that went wrong would automatically be my responsibility).

Instead, I would encourage to follow the path you were already on, just find a site or forum or other resource that can tell you how to setup your SMTP and follow their directions.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #1356784
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 10:08 AM
Grasshopper

Thanks for the advise and I will do just that

pa
Post #1356862
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse