Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Logshipping is not working. Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:23 AM
Hi,

We have a log-shipping set up on the production server for reporting purpose.
Unknowingly, I have set up a backup strategy which also includes trans-log backups.
So, my log-shipping failed. Restoration job on the second server failed.

Is there any way I can get back the secondary database on Server2.
Secondary Database is in (StandBy mode/Readonly)

Can anyone help me getting back my secondary server database back?

(I will be getting a daily full back up at 12AM and Tran-log backup for every hour)
Post #1355989
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 9:05 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:19 AM
jjohnsqldba (9/7/2012)
Hi,

We have a log-shipping set up on the production server for reporting purpose.
Unknowingly, I have set up a backup strategy which also includes trans-log backups.
So, my log-shipping failed. Restoration job on the second server failed.

Is there any way I can get back the secondary database on Server2.
Secondary Database is in (StandBy mode/Readonly)

Can anyone help me getting back my secondary server database back?

(I will be getting a daily full back up at 12AM and Tran-log backup for every hour)

If you want to get your Log Shipping back and Running you may need to restore a Full backup again. In case you have all the transaction log backups from the moment your Secondary run out of synch, you can try restoring all the transaction log backups from your backup strategy combined with the log backups from Log Shipping. You should consider taking the transaction log backups out of your backup strategy and use the transaction log backups from Log Shipping. By using both you will need both log backups in case of a disaster (the ones from your backup strategy and the ones from Log Shipping).

Why would you like to backup the secondary database?

My blog
Post #1356048
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 12:36 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:27 PM
Taking a differential backup from the primary and restoring it to the secondary will re-establish your log chain, just remember to supply the proper option on the restore (STANDBY or NORECOVERY). After the differential is applied to the secondary your existing setup will continue per the usual LS backup, LS copy and LS restore job schedules.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1356180
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 1:50 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

opc.three (9/7/2012)
Taking a differential backup from the primary and restoring it to the secondary will re-establish your log chain, just remember to supply the proper option on the restore (STANDBY or NORECOVERY). After the differential is applied to the secondary your existing setup will continue per the usual LS backup, LS copy and LS restore job schedules.

That will only work if he didn't take any full backups since he started with Log Shipping!

My blog
Post #1356220
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 2:20 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Ignacio A. Salom Rangel (9/7/2012)
opc.three (9/7/2012)

That will only work if he didn't take any full backups since he started with Log Shipping!

Agreed. It sounds like he is in the midst of the issue though.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1356240
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 2:25 PM

Hall of Fame

opc.three (9/7/2012)
opc.three (9/7/2012)

I'm not sure about that, but if he has not make any new full backups your advice will save him some time

My blog
Post #1356243
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 2:28 PM

SSCertifiable

opc.three (9/7/2012)
opc.three (9/7/2012)

I'm not sure about that, but if he has not make any new full backups your advice will save him some time

And if he has, your advice will be the way to go

Post #1356245
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 2:45 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:23 AM
Thank you for your time and particiapation. i restore the full backup and went on with your advice. it is back on action now. Thank you one more time.
Post #1356252
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 5:32 PM

Hall of Fame

jjohnsqldba (9/7/2012)
Thank you for your time and particiapation. i restore the full backup and went on with your advice. it is back on action now. Thank you one more time.

You are very welcome!

My blog
Post #1356303
Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 3:20 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:56 PM
Differentials can indeed be used to repair a LS scenario

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1356350
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse