Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Fact/Dim design question for cubes Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 12:48 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, November 2, 2014 10:21 AM

With Accounts cube we quite a few measures setup such as Active, Residential, CreditScore buckets.

Any issues with creating FactAccounts table with columns such as IsActive, IsResidential, values being 0 or 1, and they get summed up as a measure.

Or create these as dimensions?

Post #1353620
Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 10:08 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:32 PM
To me, Active and Residential seem to be dimensions. Defining them as dimensions means you can easily find info about active residential records etc. If they are a measure, this sort of question is not easy to deal with.

Post #1353696
Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:33 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:15 PM
I agree with happycat, they should be used in a dimension. You can use the Count Distinct MDX function to answer the How Many... question

Thomas

Thomas LeBlanc, MCITP DBA 2005, 2008 & MCDBA 2000
http://thesmilingdba.blogspot.com/
Post #1353938
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:34 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:54 AM
I think the answer can be both. Although I would normally associate those items with a dimension, it could be possible depending on the business processes that they would be usefully done as a measure or even both in the same cube.

Post #1354596
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse