Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

What do you use for creating admin utilities Expand / Collapse
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:48 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 16, 2015 5:41 AM
I moving in to more SQL Server support coming from UNIX based Sybase. When coding administartive utility code ouside of provided interfaces, I generally use a cobination of shell scripts,isql and and some Perl. What tends to be the most popular methods for supporting SQL Server. Scripting/Programming/Other tools?

Post #1351531
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:12 AM

Last Login: Today @ 6:27 AM
The vast majority is done through the provided interfaces and T-SQL. But if you're really interesting in automating administration of the servers and instances, PowerShell is your bestest friend in the world.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of:
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1351548
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 6:41 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Sunday, October 4, 2015 5:21 PM
I concur 100% with grant. You can do a ton with TSQL, use Powershell for stuff you cant do with TSQL.

Redgate tools are awesome too: The comparison utilities (schema and data compare) have helped a ton lately.

-- Alan Burstein

Best practices for getting help on SQLServerCentral
Need to split a string? Try DelimitedSplit8K or DelimitedSplit8K_LEAD (SQL 2012+)
Need a pattern-based spitter? Try PatternSplitCM
Need to remove of replace those unwanted characters? Try PatExclude8K and PatReplace8K.

"I can't stress enough the importance of switching from a 'sequential files' mindset to 'set-based' thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code. " -- Itzek Ben-Gan 2001

My blog
Post #1353116
Posted Saturday, September 1, 2012 11:39 AM

Last Login: Today @ 6:28 AM
To wit, I use xp_CmdShell to call Powershell.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Favorite Quotes:
"Has anyone ever told you that a query you have written runs too fast?" - Dwain Camps - 6 Mar 2014

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1353155
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse