Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Derived Column Error Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:52 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:27 PM
I'm trying to "change" the data of a specific column during a SSIS process.

I have a text file, that I'm trying to process into a database, and one of the columns (in the text file) contains "numeric" values or an empty space or null value or "--" (two dashes). I want to "replace" the empty space or "--" with a null value (DT_I4) and convert the numeric value to an integer (DT-I4) since the column in the data base is an int field.

This is the code that I have in the expression field

civilianYears == "--" || civilianYears == " " ? NULL(DT_I4) : (DT_I4)civilianYears

However, when I run the task it keeps giving me an error message: The "Derived Column" failed because error code 0xC0049063 occurred, and the error row disposition on "Derived Column.Outputs[Derived Column Output].Columns[New]" specifies failure on error. An error occurred on the specified object of the specified component. There may be error messages posted before this with more information about the failure.

I have a feeling it's the conversion in the "true" and "false" part but I can't figure out what it is.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Post #1351513
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:41 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, December 4, 2014 7:54 PM
A couple thoughts...perhaps the empty space string contains more (or less than one space) and also what happens when the souce column is null ?

Perhaps try....
civilianYears == "--" || TRIM(civilianYears) == "" || ISNULL (civilianYears) ? NULL(DT_I4) : (DT_I4)civilianYears

Post #1351993
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:17 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Today @ 11:06 PM
Hi
try like below

(civilianYears == "--" || TRIM(civilianYears) == "" || ISNULL (civilianYears)) ? NULL(DT_I4) : (DT_I4)civilianYears

Post #1351994
Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:42 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:45 PM
Nothing wrong with the previous two suggestions, but I rather prefer to check for NULL first, and TRIM() the column when checking for the double dashes, like below:

(ISNULL (civilianYears) || TRIM(civilianYears) == "--" || TRIM(civilianYears) == "") ? NULL(DT_I4) : (DT_I4)civilianYears

Cheers,

Hope this helps,
Rock from VbCity
Post #1352042
Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:56 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:27 PM
Thanks to everyone for the assistance

Post #1352548
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse