Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Watch Your Mouth Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:03 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, February 06, 2014 12:59 PM
thadeushuck (8/29/2012)
This is how it starts. Steve wants us to police our language at work. Then the government passes laws banning curse words at work and at home for the children's sake. Next thing you know they will take away my assualt rifles, tobacco and ammo stash so I will be aggitated chewing nicotine gumm & unprotected with only my assorted small arms, shotguns and rambo knives when the aliens come to eat us. WTF?

=======
Too late! Already heard of a community here in the U.S. that is giving tickets for profanity on the street.
I don't have kids so I dodged that ... (Wait, I can't use that word in the same sentance that reffers children.)
I'm already in trouble with my small arms. No, wait! That's thin arms.
If the "aliens" do come to eat us would they have entered the country llegally?
=======
I do make sure that I watch what I say at work. This comes from my days behind the microphone in radio though. You learn fast when several thousand people are paying attention to every breath you take. I reccomend it highly. Always pretend that everyone in the world hears everything you say. It's just like knowing that everyone in the world reads every word that you write. Right?

ATB

Charles Kincaid

Post #1351639
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:15 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:05 PM
I'll start watching my profanity when people stop bringing their personal problems to work and airing them in front of everybody. I find that just as offensive, but as far as I'm concerned this whole topic is a slippery slope.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1351649
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:19 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 11:47 AM
I find as I get older I tire more quickly of the constant cursing of others. Don't get me wrong, I can curse with the best of them just get me behind the wheel of car with all the idiot drivers.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1351652
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:31 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:44 PM
Wow that's a very self limiting belief that personality cannot be taught. You bet it can, I would just say it's generally harder to change personality than it is to learn a new skill and that may not even be true. If someone wants to change something about themselves they can, it might be hard, difficult, etc. but it's possible.
Post #1351663
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:39 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:05 PM
OCTom (8/29/2012)
I find excessive cursing (as defined by me) to be tiring. I also have a negative opinion of those who curse excessively, even in a bar. Excessive cursing (again defined by me alone) leaves me with the impression that the speaker lacks intelligence.

Well....If you don't like to hear a lot of cursing, go to a church, not a bar. It's silly to expect otherwise. Also, it is simply untrue that many intelligent people don't curse a lot. Where have you been? As far as impressions go, impressions are like opinions, and opinions are like butt-holes, everyone has got one. It don't mean a thing

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1351670
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:09 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:24 AM
John Hanrahan (8/29/2012)
Wow that's a very self limiting belief that personality cannot be taught. You bet it can, I would just say it's generally harder to change personality than it is to learn a new skill and that may not even be true. If someone wants to change something about themselves they can, it might be hard, difficult, etc. but it's possible.

Let me rephrase. I can't easily teach personality, and I can't gauge if someone wants to learn.

Perhaps I can't do that with technical skills either, but I can gauge that more easily, or perhaps realize quicker that a person isn't willing to learn or try.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1351688
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:14 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Monday, April 07, 2014 11:41 AM
After seeing the picture, all I can think of is "Damn, pulling that tape off musta hurt!"
Post #1351695
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:17 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:36 AM
thadeushuck (8/29/2012)
This is how it starts. Steve wants us to police our language at work. Then the government passes laws banning curse words at work and at home for the children's sake. Next thing you know they will take away my assualt rifles, tobacco and ammo stash so I will be aggitated chewing nicotine gumm & unprotected with only my assorted small arms, shotguns and rambo knives when the aliens come to eat us. WTF?

They already are. It started with calling a rifle an assault weapon, when the only difference is the appearance. The media and government want us all to be sheep, easier to hold the 74th annual games that way!

Dave
Post #1351698
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:24 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:36 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/29/2012)
thadeushuck (8/29/2012)

Didn't ask you to police anything. Just suggested you think about it. You get the consequences with the responsibility.

I assume you're joking, but it's not a black and white issue. There shouldn't be rules about this, but there also shouldn't be any expectation that anyone else has to live with behavior by others without being offended or being able to lodge a complaint.

What we need more is judgment on the issue from managers, not silly rules.

You got that right! There are a lot of people today who would say that you using the phrase "black and white" is fine, but if I do it is racist. What it comes down to is that we all have the right to our opinions, and we all have the right to express those opinions, but none of us have the right to decide what opinions others can express.

That doesn't change the fact that having the right to express your opinion doesn't negate the need to first determine if the situation calls for it. More to the point, if I was interviewing for a position and found that the company might have involvement in things that I am ethically opposed to, I have to consider whether speaking up or remaining quiet is the best course of action. No clear answer for that, it is an individual choice.

Dave
Post #1351706
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:26 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:55 PM
I have been in IT for nearly 20 years and a DBA for 14 of them and I can tell you something for certain and that is we are a twisted bunch. When it comes to interviews we all put on a mask and typically act nothing like who we really are. If there is some prude in the group they tend to get pushed out because we reject that the 1 of 100 makes the rules for the other 99. We had one lady doing QA who thought every last one of us were animals. Well, she doesn't work here any longer but the rest of us do. There are certain words that should be off limits in the office like the one that starts with C but many others are fine and to me, it is about context.

Don't talk like this, don't dress like that, don't write code the way you do and don't put too much sugar in your coffee unless you want the world to reject you. There are a lot more of us less than perfect people in the world than the perfect so, the perfect will have to get used to dealing with us because we out number them and we aren't going anywhere.

Cheers
Post #1351707
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse