Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

The Danger of Hiring Stars Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 1, 2013 9:32 PM
Personally, I like my 3 monitors. Gotta have Outlook on the small one.

Post #140160
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2004 1:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, October 15, 2004 6:30 PM
I thought this article would be about employing someone super bright from the title. While the content was interesting and revealing it seemed to skit the issue.
Post #140242
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2004 1:39 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:07 AM

In what way Jamie, what were you looking for?

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #140246
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2004 2:25 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, October 15, 2004 6:30 PM
The three axioms... Can you do the job, do you want to and will you fit in? This was very succinct and so true. The star does the first two hands down. What about the third criteria? How do the other staff members feel about being shown up? Does this make for good teams or does it cause in fighting and make the team implode? Is it a good idea hiring a star if this is true? How would a star hide his potential, in the interview, to rip to the team apart? Perhaps it has something to do with making everyone around you look good. How would you convince someone you were a team player when you wanted the glory for yourself? PS sorry about the bad spelling (no chance of showing anyone up here!)
Post #140253
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2004 7:27 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:13 AM

Nice article for sure. It just makes plain sense to tackle these questions and get good advice from others before making a major decision to switch jobs. The reasons you may want to switch jobs might not stand up to these questions once you think about it. My family and I have always considered these questions before deciding to move on, and it has helped tremendously.

Post #140289
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2004 5:51 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, August 1, 2014 4:03 PM

Great article which vibrates my heart and push me to look back on all the jobs I have had in the I.T. field.

You provide a mirror for me and my family members, relatives and friends: it is not just for DBA, or I.T. guy, but for all job hunters. I have had most good moves for chasing career goals. I also had 2 bad moves due to crazy bosses and/or 12 hours working environment pressure. Along with the age increasing, so called 'maturity', I could have reduced the number of changing jobs about 50% today.

p.s. side question. I have been DBA, Database developer, .... but my faviourate thing is data modeling in design or re-design the company database. I still think the best job change was to get a chance to design 108 tables (an inventory control database) from scratch even with 120 miles daily traffic. This exposesd my potentiality and set up my future goal. But in reality, this kind chance probably is 1/1000 companies wants to do so. What is your advice?

thank you for your greate article to share with us.

David

Post #140446
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse