Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Validate rows in 2 tables and write log Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:57 PM
Hi,

I'm having 2 tables with old and new project numbers, If project number in Table A matches with Project Number in Table B, Then i need to update the Table A project number with its equivalent New project number located in Table B.

For that i;ve written the below query which worked fine, But now my requirement has been changed to:

I need to iterate through all the rows in Table A and Table B, If match found i need to INSERT a record in a new table which should store Project number(Varchar), IsProjNumConverted (Bit (0,1))

How can i do this using CASE statement>?
UPDATE
dbo.Incident_Info
SET
dbo.Incident_Info .Proj_ID = x.INVC_PROJ_ID
FROM
dbo.Incident_Info i
left outer join Repository.dbo.PROJ_ID_XREF x on x.PROJ_ID=i.Proj_ID

Thanks,
Post #1350320
Posted Monday, August 27, 2012 7:43 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, October 10, 2014 2:48 AM
use merge statement to achieve the required .

For more detail

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510625.aspx

or
http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2010/06/08/sql-server-merge-operations-insert-update-delete-in-single-execution/
Post #1350388
Posted Monday, August 27, 2012 2:20 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 2:16 PM
So, you need to compare TableA and TableB and only if match is found insert into TableC ? Match on what? Old and Old? New and New? Both?
How do you determine value of the IsProjNumConverted flag?
Post #1350579
Posted Monday, August 27, 2012 2:46 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:16 PM
I haven't tested this since there was no test data supplied, but I think this should work.

Insert into MergeTable (Project number, IsProjNumConverted)
Select Coalesce(x.proj_id,i.proj_id) as projID,
Case
When x.proj_id is not null then 1
else 0
End Converted
FROM dbo.Incident_Info i

Post #1350596
Posted Monday, August 27, 2012 3:07 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 1:27 PM
>> INTEGER'm having 2 tables with old and new project numbers, .. <<

This design flaw is called attribute splitting. Your design is wrong dn we need to see DDL to fix it; posting DDL is minimal polite behavior in SQL forum. A good SQL programmer will have a single Projects table, that identifies each project as “old” or “new” instead.

>> If project number in Table A matches with Project Number in Table B, Then INTEGER need to update the Table A project number with its equivalent New project number located in Table B. <<

Why do you wish to Create redundancy? A valid RDBMS has each fact, one way, one place, one time. This is why we switched from file systems to DBMS.

The correct name for the table is not “Incident_Info”; it is a set and needs a plural or collective name and every table has information. Simply use “Incidents” instead. Then read ISO-11179 and learn the correct rules.

The term XREF is also a non_RDBMS structure from the 1970's network databases. We do not use it any more.

>> INSERT need to iterate through all the rows in Table A and Table B, If match found, need to INSERT a record [sic: rows are not records] in a new table which should store Project number(VARCHAR), IsProjNumConverted (Bit (0,1)) <<

We do not use BIT flags in SQL; that was Assembly language. Tag numbers like you would use for a project should not ever be a varying string. Where is the check digit?

To track the history of Projects we need to see time as a continuum and model it as (begin_date, end_date) pairs that define when a Projects had a particular value. Here is the skeleton.

CREATE TABLE Projects_History
(project_id CHAR(9) NOT NULL,
start_date DATE DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP NOT NULL,
end_date DATETIME, --null means current
CHECK (start_date <= end_date),
project_status INTEGER NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (project_id, start_date));

When the end_date is NULL, that state of being is still current. You use a simple query for the status on any particular date;

SELECT *
FROM Projects
WHERE @in_cal_date
BETWEEN start_date
AND COALESCE (end_date, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP);

SQL Server Central is featuring a Stairways Series I wrote a few years ago. You need to study it and learn how to write a correct schema.

Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing
Analytics and OLAP in SQL
Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice
Data, Measurements and Standards in SQL
SQL for Smarties
SQL Programming Style
SQL Puzzles and Answers
Thinking in Sets
Trees and Hierarchies in SQL
Post #1350610
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:43 AM
SSC Rookie

thermanson (8/27/2012)
I haven't tested this since there was no test data supplied, but I think this should work.

Insert into MergeTable (Project number, IsProjNumConverted)
Select Coalesce(x.proj_id,i.proj_id) as projID,
Case
When x.proj_id is not null then 1
else 0
End Converted
FROM dbo.Incident_Info i

Hi,

The query is working fine, But i need to display the project number even though there is no match found with project id in table b. The result set is coming like below when i execute your query,

01779.124.034 Yes
12682.004.006 Yes
NULL No
12682.004.006 Yes
NULL No
NULL No
NULL No
NULL No

Only for matched records i can see the project number, But i also need to see Project Number for NO case also. How can i acheive this?

Thanks
Post #1351490
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:51 AM
SSC Rookie

I need to write both the cases,

If match found in table A and table B, Then i need to write the output like

Table A ProjNumber Table B ProjNumber IsMatchFound

1234 1234 Y
1234 0000 N

I need to trace for which project numbers, there was no match found..

Please help me out..

Thanks
Post #1351493
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:14 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:15 AM
If you can't or won't correct your design as suggested by Joe, use the MERGE statement as suggested by Sandeep.

John
Post #1351502
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse