Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Is it OK to ask salary range before applying? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:38 AM
Hi all,

I came across a Jr. DBA position with no salary attached. A google search of the company didn't turn up any published salary ranges.

Would it be considered rude to email the contact and *politely* ask the range before applying? I'm employed, so I'm not desperate and can't take a pay cut although a lateral move would be fine since this is a position I have a strong interest in.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark

Post #1349805
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 10:38 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:12 PM
Mark Eckeard (8/24/2012)
Hi all,

I came across a Jr. DBA position with no salary attached. A google search of the company didn't turn up any published salary ranges.

Would it be considered rude to email the contact and *politely* ask the range before applying? I'm employed, so I'm not desperate and can't take a pay cut although a lateral move would be fine since this is a position I have a strong interest in.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark

I've had it pounded into my head that yes, it is rude to ask about salary, unless the interviewer asks you first. So from my perspective, it's probably better to be safe and not ask.

My thought: put in for it and see what happens. You never know.
Post #1349809
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 11:00 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:43 AM
You could waste a lot of time applying for jobs you won't take. OK if you've got the time...
Post #1349818
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 11:13 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 6:58 AM
True story: my wife was miserable at her job; mean co-workers and the usual underpaid, overworked, underappreciated, story.

so I told her she should start shopping around, but not settling for some place who was going to give her twenty five cents more for doing the same job.

At an interview, she was offered a position, and no kidding, the offer was exactly twenty-five cents more(per hour) than she was currently making. she laughed because she remembered what i said, but the interviewer took it as laughing at the offer, and promptly increased the offer substantially; with the "but with your experience, we can offer you $x. "

she was happy with the offer then, and took the job, but we still recall how it happened.

I'm not saying to laugh at the amount you get offered, but at least go in with your eyes open and be aware of the current rates, as well as your own assesment of your skillset.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1349826
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 11:14 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 6:56 AM
You will notice a double standard here. The potential employer will ask for salary history from prospective employees but many refuse to tell these same people what they may expect as salary.

IMHO, if an employer is unwilling to publish a salary range, they should be be prohibited from asking a prospective employee what they make(made). There should be some reciprocity here.

In this situation, I would apply. If the salary turns out to be too low, no one is forcing you to accept the position. That fact that you are currently employed helps you.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1349829
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 12:03 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 3:13 PM
It used to be consider bad form to ask about salary and benefits in the first interview. However, that is beginning to change. I've had interviews in the last two years where they ask for current salary and I ask them what they'd be offering. It's very practical in that you both get to see if you're at least a match in pay.

I don't ask right away in the first interview. I wait for the employer to ask me first and I ask them if they are willing to reciprocate. I found that some are willing to discuss it up front.
Post #1349854
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 1:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 1:57 PM
I discuss it right up front. I do my best to bring it up politely, but I do bring that up along with time-off, on call duties, and a few other important things. I let the interviewer/recuiter know that I don't want to waste their time, as I am employed and won't be able to consider anything too far below what I am currently making.

I have had quite a few thank me for being so open. I had one who said that they don't discuss salary until the final interview....I made it to the final interview and got a job offer letter...had to turn it down as it was way below what I was currently making ($30,000 less). I made a counter offer, but they refused that and so I sent them my letter thanking them for their time and I let them know in my response that they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble and possibly found the right individual if they had discussed salary from the beginning.

So, I believe it is proper to bring up salary from the beginning....but you need to do it politely and let the company know you are trying to make sure their time isn't wasted.

-SQLBill

Post #1349908
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 2:55 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:38 AM
Great feedback. Thanks guys.

Mark

Post #1349938
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 3:21 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Saturday, April 12, 2014 12:51 AM
I'm of the personal opinion that I work for money, my money. That's not what employers want to hear, however. So, as mentioned, there's a balance point. But I usually ask before we even waste time on the interview, at least for an expected range. It takes me time and effort to attend the interview, at least twice as much time as it takes the interviewer. Researching the company, getting to and from the location, etc etc.

If they don't understand I care about what they're willing to pay, I don't understand why they think I should care about their future profitability.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1349947
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 4:29 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:41 PM
I find nothing wrong with asking the salary range. If a company gets upset about that, it may be a red flag that you don't actually want to work for them anyway.

So far as requiring proof of prior salary, thats a huge red flag for me and I simply refuse to expose that information.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1349970
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse