Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

DBA Interview Questions needed - Serious only please. Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:27 PM
Sachin Butala-182900 (8/27/2012)
you can follow Pinal @ SQLAuthority

he listed questions for basic to advanced.

Pinal is a great guy. But, I wouldn't rely on those lists of questions and answers. I can't recommend them and I don't support them as a choice.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1350395
Posted Monday, August 27, 2012 8:01 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:32 AM
I've seen some of the scuttle-butt about his posts... I'm honestly not the caliber of developer to be challenging his answers; however, I don't take them a face value. I test everything... I'm too paranoid....

Post #1350398
Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 5:44 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Today @ 3:38 AM
well most of the Pinal questions comming as academic and not as experienced users.

mssqltips.com is also good website to find more interview questions.
Post #1353467
Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 2:06 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:42 PM
CptCrusty1 (8/24/2012)
Hi dudes and dudettes...

I've convinced the boss that he needs a dba since the 3rd party firm providing dba services isn't doing the best job. I know lots about SQL development; however, I know very very little about being a dba.

We received a resume from a person indicating many years exp with 2000/2005/2008 as a DBA; however, outside tricky SQL Questions, I'm not sure where to go from there.

I'm looking for:

--Generic DBA type things.
--Stuff that a mid-lvl dba should know.
--Advanced stuff that is rather obscure.

If you are kind enough to respond, please preface the answer with the level of difficulty you feel it has... . Oh... and the answer too.

When hiring the person, I'd like to make an informed decision. Thanks all... I really appreciate it.

Crusty.

Hiring a DBA is both a major expense and a matter of trust on your part. Basically, you're handing the proverbial keys to the city to this person. If you don't have anyone in the company that knows enough to properly interview a DBA, then find someone that does. All asking a bunch of questions from the internet are going to do is show you that someone can memorize the (sometimes incorrect) answers. You won't actually know what someone will do if there's an emergency or something that isn't "in the book".

Also, have you considered doing any kind of background investigation, drug testing, etc? Like I said, you're handing the keys to the city over to this person.

And don't rely on recruiters to give you a good DBA... most recruiters can't spell DBA. You really need to get a pro in to help you find a good DBA that's going to take care of things properly. It's worth the wait and it's worth going the extra mile on.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1353626
Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 2:38 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 1:21 PM
Jeff is completely correct. Hire a consultant to interview DBAs for you. There are plenty of good ones that are willing to help.

Brent Ozar (brentozar.com) or Adam Machanic (www.sqlblog.com) do this all the time.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1353631
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:49 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 8:17 AM
plz send some interview scenarios on sql dba
Post #1362412
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 12:49 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, June 2, 2014 7:24 PM
Jeff Moden (9/3/2012)

Also, have you considered doing any kind of background investigation, drug testing, etc?

Yikes! Pleased to be on a different continent

Clare
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Measure twice; cut once (and have a good saw)

Hey, just a thought.....did you check Books Online yet?
Post #1362447
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 6:44 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:42 PM
raghu14319 (9/20/2012)

Gosh... just do a Google search and you'll get more questions and answers (caution... some are wrong!) than you can shake a stick at.

Also, heed the warnings given throughout this thread. Just because someone has memorized answers to some technical questions doesn't mean that the person will make a good DBA.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1362617
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 7:13 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 12:27 PM
Jeff Moden (9/21/2012)
raghu14319 (9/20/2012)

Gosh... just do a Google search and you'll get more questions and answers (caution... some are wrong!) than you can shake a stick at.

Also, heed the warnings given throughout this thread. Just because someone has memorized answers to some technical questions doesn't mean that the person will make a good DBA.

Or that they'll pass an interview.

Here's a question I frequently ask in interviews. I'll give it to you for free, because, unless you really know what you're doing, this is the one that separates the real DBAs from the wanna-be's:

You get a phone call from one the users. They tell you the database is slow. What do you do?

You answer that reasonably well, you're hired. You start talking junk, you're not.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1362646
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 8:19 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:08 AM
You get a phone call from one the users. They tell you the database is slow. What do you do?
You answer that reasonably well, you're hired. You start talking junk, you're not.

I'd start with the usual suspects like server memory, cpu, disk, network etc.... who said the real problem is with SQl Server anyway?!

am I talking junk yet or am I hired?!

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
David Edwards - Media lens

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
Howard Zinn
Post #1362696
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse