Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Fix v. Create Expand / Collapse
Author
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:17 AM
I think most maintenance is actually new development activity that was skipped during initial development because the developer was in a hurry, under pressure, incompetent, lazy, etc.

In particular, design review and detailed testing are often skipped, so the problems don't emerge until the application is in production.

It’s far more time-consuming to fix a bug that's in production and design errors, especially database design errors, can take a tremendous effort to fix, so that leads to the 90/10 maintenance/new split.

Post #1349662
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 8:38 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:53 PM
We just completed an Agile project that overall took about 18 months. We had maybe a couple dozen bugs during that time (some of those were really changes in requirements). Test driven development (unit test first!) coupled with automated subsystem testing really keeps the bugs down.

The effort was not trivial and was a true multitier application.

This project had 4 SCRUM teams spread across two continents and three time zones.

The breakdown was roughly 90% on new code and 10% fixing issues.
Post #1349709
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:43 AM
Software development for me is an art. It needs experience architect with hand-on and practical experience to design an efficient database access. But, most of the time, a lot of peoples started with coding directly, because he/she not able to think ahead,plan or imagine the scope in future.

Sometime/most of the time, the scope of the system and requirements also changing from time to time. Beside we have very experience Business System Analyst.

Therefore, why we need to spend more time in maintenence, it boiled down lack of experience and critical thinking leader, architect, system analyst.
Post #1349710
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 7:28 AM
As a Business Intelligence developer I could be working in any of 4 environments, i.e. SSIS, SSAS, SSRS or Dashboards. In my case I am primarily on the latter three so a vast majority of my time is creation. Every once and a while I might be asked to help out on the SSIS side of things but that, as I said is rare. So, I spend probably 90% of my time creating and 10% "fixing". And, sometimes, as a report goes through different iterations - I am asked to make changes/improvements to that report - so the "creating" and "fixing" sometimes gets mingled together. Now, the other members of my team that work primarily in the SSIS area of our business. They are probably just the opposite. They are constantly/often "fixing" problems with data or the flow in one way or another - and doing little creation. I'd say they are doing about 80% "fixing" and 20% "creating".
Post #1349711
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 8:40 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:23 AM
A good Friday topic.

In my current 'Apps team' position, I not only provide SQL support for 8 hardware servers, 8 VM servers and the major applications that may reside on them, but I also support Crystal Reports (Business Objects Enterprise), Access 03/07/10 and a tiny bit of VB.net on Vis Studio 2008.

Fortunately, the SQL side of tasks is mainly server support, maintaining backups, SQL Agent jobs, etc which is an ongoing every morning 15 to 45 minute review. I handle all upgrades for the apps that reside on my servers (maintenance or development?) and have had a big one (not a critical one) going on for about 6 months that because it isn't critical, always seems to get pushed to the back burner when something else jumps up as a perceived crisis.

Then there are the frantic calls from Crystal or Access users asking for assistance with a new/old report or getting a query to do this. Finally there are the VB.net projects that I get to chose, as we have old legacy VB6 code that needs to be updated. I would consider this to be new development work as I'm discovering that VB6 code DOES NOT automatically translate over to VB.Net...much to my chagrin. What fun! I'd say my load is 95/5 on the maintenance/repair/fix this side of the coin.
Post #1349713
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 8:53 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:30 AM
I've been programming for over 10 years...and now I have finally seen it all...I just inhereted an application that was apporved(and in use) for production(developed by a vendor)...one problem...on some of the reports, the values are hard coded, and don't actually show the real values...why...because the real values are not actually saved to the database.....
FAIL.
But like I always say.... HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post #1349722
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 8:58 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 12:17 AM
Question Guy (8/24/2012)
...on some of the reports, the values are hard coded, and don't actually show the real values...why...because the real values are not actually saved to the database...

I'll bet that saved a lot of time during development.

Post #1349726
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 9:02 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:58 AM
I'd add one more category to that: Prevent.

I spend a significant amount of my time making it so I won't have to fix things in the future.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #1349729
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 9:13 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 4:00 PM
In my current job I went from a 90%/10% fix/mantain ratio to 5%/95%

I consider myself good at troubleshooting and tuning, those are the parts of my job that I enjoy the most. The problem is that the better I do those two, the less I have to work and I tend ot get bored and look for another job that would keep me busy. That has not happened with my current employer though.

I see myself as a problem solver, and I think I do a pretty bad job at creating new stuff (from design to code and test).
Post #1349739
Posted Friday, August 24, 2012 9:14 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Sunday, December 14, 2014 7:49 AM
For me, it is overwhelmingly in favor of "Fix".

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1349740
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse