Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Excel Pivot Table Show Zeros For Numeric Oracle Data Via SQL Linked Server Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:56 AM
I have a view in Oracle 11G. I want to show the contents in an Excel 2010 Pivot Table without installing the Oracle Client on my users' machines. So I created a SQL Server 2008 R2 view that queries the Oracle view through a Linked Server. I can run the view in Mgt. Studio. It looks good....I can see the text fields as well as the numeric fields. When I connect to this SQL Server view with the Pivot Table, the numbers disappear.....all zeros! The text fields all look good. I tried to connect with the regular SQL Server Native driver as well as with ODBC and Microsoft Query with the same result. If I connect the Pivot Table directly to Oracle, there is no issue. For whatever reason, this scenario is not yielding results in a Google search. I thought I would check here to see if anyone has seen this before.

Thank you for your help!
Post #1348133
Posted Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:25 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
Cross posting. Please reply here http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1348134-1044-1.aspx

Please do not cross post.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1348386
Posted Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:58 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:56 AM
Thank you Paul! I am new here. I couldn't figure out how to delete a post after I found I had posted in the wrong place. Do you know how to do that or do I need to contact an admin?

Thanks, Jesse
Post #1348412
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse