Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Restore backup to earlier SQL2K build Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:49 AM
Is there any reason I could not take a backup from a SQL2K 8.0.2065 server and restore it to an earlier SQL2K 8.0.194 server?

John
Post #1347366
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 11:53 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
I know you can't restore to prior versions. I haven't tried prior partial-versions. Try it and find out.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #1347368
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 3:01 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Is it safe to assume that if the restore succeeds, all is well and if it fails, nothing is well? Put another way, are there any hidden gotchas that might surface later if the restore succeeds?
Post #1347488
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 3:42 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:59 AM
That should work (though you need to patch the destination, it's vulnerable to slammer at the very least)

There are only 2 cases I know of where a service pack bumped the internal database version.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1347495
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:59 AM
Forum Newbie

It works!

I created a new database with four tables, 1 million rows each, backed it up, restored it to the old server. It restored ok. The sum of values in a numeric column in the source matches the sum in the target.

As Gail mentioned, I need to patch this server. Can I install Service Pack 4 without installing 1, 2, 3, 3a first?
Post #1347759
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:59 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Yes.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #1347760
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:16 AM
Forum Newbie

Thanks for your help, all!
Post #1347771
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:17 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Just a note, when restoring across versions a backup will either restore correctly or it won't restore at all.

Gail Shaw

Post #1347774
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse