Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Down grade from sql 2008r2 Enterprise to Standard Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 8, 2014 11:44 AM
Since the only way to go from Enterprise to Standard edition is to uninstall enterprise and then install standard. I would like to know what I will lose after attaching the databases. Will jobs and SSIS packages have to be created again? has anyone ever done this or have any good links containing procedures?
Post #1345968
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:53 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:53 AM
Jobs, logins, linked servers, server side DDL triggers, logon triggers, SSIS packages, database mail etc etc will all be lost.

I have attached a powershell script which will export all SSIS packages from MSDB to file system.

Take a look at SP_REVLOGIN, to script out logins.

The rest would need to be scripted or documented so that it can be re-created.

If you can and you have spare hardware, do this side by side as its a big task to do, that way you also have a quick rollback method should it all go wrong.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1345974
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:18 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Would backing up and restoring msdb and master solve some of the loss issues?
Post #1346266
Posted Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:44 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 4:50 PM
I'm wondering also if restoring the system dbs along with user dbs might work if using same machine? Do you have a way to test this, I'd be interested in knowing?

--------------------------------------------------
...0.05 points per day since registration... slowly crawl up to 1 pt per day hopefully
Post #1346286
Posted Friday, August 17, 2012 1:35 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:53 AM
MSDB you probably wont have any problems with, but master you might as thats the "server" db, unsure if there would be some flag or data in master to say this is an Enterprise server or a Standard server.

Would be one to test out though if you did have a second server you could install enterprise, then uninstall, install standard.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1346369
Posted Friday, August 17, 2012 1:41 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

The project is a little ways down the road but I will try that and let you guys know. The install of standard will be on the same machine so i will be testing it.
Post #1346733
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 7:00 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 7:55 AM
You should be able to do this via the Edition Upgrade option, I am sure we have done this.

Go to Microsoft SQL Server Configuration Tools, and navigate to SQL Server installation Center then click the Maintinance link and choose Edition Upgrade.

You should be able to put in your Standard Edition license key. You will have to restart SQL Server before it can take effect.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1347146
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse