Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Deleting Child Data Based Upon Criteria in the Parent Table Expand / Collapse
Posted Thursday, June 24, 2004 7:24 AM

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:06 AM

The example was based around a parent - child relationship wasn't it ? I can't imagine a parent-child relationship where I would want to keep orphaned child records. If staff don't understand the schema I'd be very nervous about letting them delete anything. Steve Brett

Well, on that issue, you'd very likely want to keep a record of your orders/invoices even after having deleted the customer record that originated those orders/invoices, so there might be circumstances where you'd keep children when the parent goes away.

In reference to the article in general, I hate to say this, but it doesn't strike me as that common a problem.  It poses a decent solution to the issue yes, but in fifteen years of dealing with this stuff I've never seen an issue like the one you describe.  Could be I live in a bubble, but I don't think so.  I guess I'd rather have seen something on how to modernize such a structure, or perhaps how to design to avoid it, so in the future I won't show up somewhere and have to deal with such a schema ).

Later -

Kindest Regards,

Thomas J. Theobald

Umpteen zillion products and counting for your favorite shooting sports...(and all run with SQL Server and Delphi)...come visit us at the website above!
Post #122772
Posted Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:11 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, October 7, 2012 1:53 AM
These statements are really great....Its really helpfull
Post #814022
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse