Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

BIT Conversions Expand / Collapse
Author

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:40 AM
..although I have been wrong,

Good question!
Post #1344631
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:41 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:41 PM
I almost fell prey to the wording of the question, but after reading it twice I realized my original answers were incorrect. Thank you for the great question.

Everything is awesome!
Post #1344660
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:43 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 5:44 AM
Excellent question. I particularly like questions, like this one, that highlight areas where the behavior is not as one might think, or is different than you might find in other languages. These are the gotchas that you have to know. Thanks!

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Post #1344665
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:49 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:42 AM
Good back to basics question... I'm glad I had my morning coffee first or I would have missed the 1/True bit. :)

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #1344670
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:33 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 2:18 PM
davoscollective (8/14/2012)
Ack! I can explain why the 32%.

I read the question and thought the trick was about the numbers that weren't 1 or 0 and went ahead and ticked all the boxes knowing they would all be inserted.

... but not all as True.

Doh!

My fault for not answering it carefully.

+1

I should know better than to answer before my first cup of coffee...
Post #1344702
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:34 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
One of the things that I'm trying to learn is to write better QotD questions. It looks like most that have responded here about missing it have acknowledged not reading the question carefully. So, how could this question have been written better?

(The only thing that I can think of is to have bolded the "as a true / 1 value".)

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1344704
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:35 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Jan.Sundbye (8/14/2012)
Good one. Once again I fell right into the trap. Must remember to RTFQ / RTFS (Read the **** Question / Statement)

Jan,

I was trying to not have a "trap". What about this question do you consider to have been a trap? (I'm trying to get better at writing these QotD's).

Wayne
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1344706
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:37 AM

SSCertifiable

Dana Medley (8/14/2012)
I almost fell prey to the wording of the question, but after reading it twice I realized my original answers were incorrect. Thank you for the great question.

Dana,

I'm curious about the "I almost fell prey to the wording of the question" - what was there in this question that got you feeling this way? (I'm trying to get better at writing these QotD's).

Wayne
Post #1344711
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:43 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:59 AM
Nice question!
Post #1344716
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:48 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
WayneS (8/14/2012)
One of the things that I'm trying to learn is to write better QotD questions. It looks like most that have responded here about missing it have acknowledged not reading the question carefully. So, how could this question have been written better?

(The only thing that I can think of is to have bolded the "as a true / 1 value".)

Hi Wayne,

I see nothing wrong with this question. As long as you take the time to read the entire question, I fail to see how one could misunderstand it.
Maybe people who misread the question were only flying over the text and making assumptions on what the question is?

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1344725
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse