Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Exploring SQL Server 2000 Configuration Properties Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:18 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.co

All the best,

Dale

Author:
An Introduction to SQL Server 2005 Management Studio
Post #134398
Posted Tuesday, September 28, 2004 7:48 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:48 AM

Hi.

Just to point something:

"Key points (Figure 6):

SQL Server Standard Edition supports up to 4 processors.  Advanced Server supports 8 processors. Data Center Server supports 32 processors."

I think you're really meaning MS Windows

Post #139079
Posted Tuesday, September 28, 2004 8:55 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:18 AM

Mithrandir,

From the mouth of Microsoft:

"On Windows 2000, standard editions of SQL Server support up to four processors. Enterprise Editions support up to 32 processors (8 with Advanced Server and 32 on Data Center Server)." 

I suppose I should have clarified the part about SQL Standard Edition which supports up to 4 processors on Windows 2000 vs. SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition (which supports 8 processors on Advanced Server and 32 processors on Data Center Server).  Sorry about that.  The wording was unclear.  Please see the reference link at the bottom of the article to go to Microsoft's Pocket Consultant for SQL Server 2000 for further details.

All the best,

Dale

Author: An Introduction to SQL Server 2005 Management Studio
Post #139098
Posted Tuesday, September 28, 2004 2:15 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 3:52 PM
A really nice reference resource, good work, man !

Post #139161
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2005 11:51 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:25 PM
An excellent reference resource
Post #224233
Posted Friday, September 29, 2006 1:05 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 12:30 PM

This article is more like a reference material or white paper. I feel it is bit dry..

Post #312165
Posted Friday, September 29, 2006 6:09 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, June 9, 2014 6:02 AM

There are some serious errors and misconceptions and this is only going to add to more users messing with options they don't understand!.

Procs, the number are doubled under w2k3 and procs are also depenedant upon the underlying o/s. You should never check the reserve physical memory unless you are using a fixed memory ( with min and max the same ) Note that once you use awe or instances you MUST fix memory sizes otherwise you will have problems.

Boost priority should ONLY ONLY ONLY ever be used if ms support tell you, this setting causes major problems. ( it was I understand added for SBS where multiple apps run on a server - the guys I've spoken to at microsoft wish this option was removed as it causes so many support calls )

fibre mode is relevent only on large multiproc boxes where cpu is almost maxed out and you have very high levels of context switches.

I could go on -- I fail to see how you can quote the admin guide - did you really read it properly? and how on earth did you come to some of your calculations?

My advice ( and that of microsoft ) is that unless you really know what you're doing and then really only if microsoft support tell you all config settings should remain "out of the box" Changing settings on a production server could easily bring the system down.

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Post #312224
Posted Friday, September 29, 2006 9:52 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:54 AM
This is an excellent article for the GUI DBA ... There is also enough information to get the inexperienced DBA in real trouble as well. However the one piece of information that is missing (as in many SQL things these days) is the command line equivalents for everything there. After all most DBAs rarely do things just once, it's usually many times. The only way tio be truly efficient is to 'automate' it - i.e. script it and become a COMMANDLINE DBA !

Regards
Rudy Komacsar
Senior Database Administrator

"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."
Post #312339
Posted Friday, September 29, 2006 1:39 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:23 PM
woman!

Thanks,

David Russell
Oracle Since 1982
SQL Server Since 1998
Post #312418
Posted Sunday, October 1, 2006 11:48 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, June 9, 2014 6:02 AM
Rudy - I totally agree! I normally work within controlled production environments where the use of the GUI is an absolute no-no. You'll never get SOX using the GUI !!! I still worry about some of the content, still it's these changes which keep me employed when i go in and fix the mess < grin >

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Post #312506
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse