Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

backup file size Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 03, 2012 10:05 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 2:19 AM
zahid_7777 (8/10/2012)
Actually I don't know. How to know this and change the configuration.

Backup and restore are very serious activites. You need to lear it thorouly, practice and become comfortable in performing backup and restore.
Post #1353589
Posted Monday, September 03, 2012 9:20 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:41 AM
I just scheduled for backup as recurring, daily, expires 1 day and started sql server agent along with the jobs under it and getting the scheduled backup, but backup steel growing in the rate of double of previous backup. Hope expires in one day is not working. In which point i am doing wrong. Would you let me know? More you may write the appropriate process for scheduled backup. (Look original size of database is not much 105 mb but .bak file size 597 mb
Post #1353689
Posted Monday, September 03, 2012 9:23 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

May be you are right I will create new backup policy, by adding recurring, daily, expires in 1 day and append option selected. But where can i found append option or default option. Thank you very much.
Post #1353690
Posted Tuesday, September 04, 2012 3:10 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:48 AM
zahid_7777 (9/3/2012)
May be you are right I will create new backup policy, by adding recurring, daily, expires in 1 day and append option selected. But where can i found append option or default option. Thank you very much.

how are you creating backup by code or maintanence plan?

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Post #1353777
Posted Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:51 PM
SSC Rookie

Maintenance plan giving error message. But I am right clicking on the database then selecting task and next backup after that selecting the options like expires 1 day, recurring daily, and setting schedule but I didn't find append or default option. Backup is producing everyday but growing almost double in size.
Post #1354304
Posted Wednesday, September 05, 2012 12:29 AM
SSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:50 PM
check exact size of your database not right click on database then property and check size not from option.

SELECT DB_NAME(database_id) AS DatabaseName,
Name AS Logical_Name,
Physical_Name, (size*8)/1024 SizeMB
FROM sys.master_files
WHERE DB_NAME(database_id) = 'AdventureWorks'
GO
Post #1354335
Posted Wednesday, September 05, 2012 1:40 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:08 AM
zahid_7777 (8/10/2012)
Right clicking in the database selecting task then backup, assigning job by selecting script action to job generated by sql server and schedule. Not maintenance plan or writing any script personally. I am steel learning. But may be database backups are growing because service is adding the new backup with the old backups not replacing older one. I have selected expired on 0 (zero) days.

The sql server default is NOINIT which will write all backups into the same file, if you're using the same filename each time. Either

• use a different filename each time by dynamically appending the date maybe?

• Or use INIT to overwrite the backup set (not the best way)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1354357
Posted Wednesday, September 05, 2012 9:03 PM
SSC Rookie

Thanks. I will do as you suggested. I hope this is very useful. One thing,
* should I mention zero day or more days for expire last backup option to reduce space.
Post #1354993
Posted Wednesday, September 05, 2012 11:51 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:08 AM
You can do, but i don't use it.
I, and I'm sure many others, create files based on date, much easier to manage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1355028
Posted Thursday, September 06, 2012 10:02 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:46 AM
Backups by date/time are definitely easier to deal with, especially if your SQL Server is toasted or you're at a DR site and you want to see what you have.

Take a look at the maintenance solutions from Ola Hallengren and/or SQLFool - I use a slightly modified version of Ola's scripts for backups and for cleaning up older files.
Post #1355449
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse