Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Adding a new Node on the existing SQL Server two nodes cluster. Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:09 PM
I currently have a two nodes SQL Server cluster. Both nodes have identical hardware (dell R900 servers). I want to add a third node on the existing cluster, is that possible? another concerned is; the server for the third node is not identical to the initial two existing nodes. Will this work or will it face issues?

Thank you in advance.
Post #1341580
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:13 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, March 21, 2014 9:46 AM
you can add another node. It should work. But you should make sure your third node can handle your sql instance(s) in case of failover.
Post #1341661
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:02 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 6:20 AM
soccer (8/7/2012)
I currently have a two nodes SQL Server cluster. Both nodes have identical hardware (dell R900 servers). I want to add a third node on the existing cluster, is that possible? another concerned is; the server for the third node is not identical to the initial two existing nodes. Will this work or will it face issues?

Thank you in advance.

What edition of SQL server are you using, if it's standard then you can't install to a third node the limit is 2.

It's not ideal to have different spec nodes but can be done, this usually happens when you cluster a physical node with a virtual node.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1341687
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:28 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

I have SQL 2008 enterprise edition.
Post #1342313
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:04 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 6:20 AM
In that case a third node is possible

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1342393
Posted Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:45 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 5:08 AM
How you tried this... was this worked fine?
Post #1400211
Posted Wednesday, December 26, 2012 2:14 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

It worked, thanks.
Post #1400376
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse