Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

SQL Browser service needed for non-standard static port? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, October 25, 2014 11:54 AM
If I am using dynamic port settings on my sql server instance, I need the sql browser service to run and listen over port 1434 for incoming requests.

If I am using a static default port of 1433, the browser service is not needed.

However, if I set a non-default port, say 1638, for my SQL server to listen over, do I need the SQL Browser to listen for incoming requests, so it can look up 1638???

My understanding is, as a connection coming into a sql server instance, if it is not using dynamic ports, and not using the default port, I MUST KNOW the port SQL Server is listening on and use that port in my connection string to make a succesfful connection.

I always thought the browser service was only needed for dynamic ports.
Post #1341576
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:10 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, March 21, 2014 9:46 AM
"However, if I set a non-default port, say 1638, for my SQL server to listen over, do I need the SQL Browser to listen for incoming requests, so it can look up 1638???"
-- Browser service means to direct client request to dynamic ports. If you intend to use 1638 (static port), use it in connection string. So that browser service will be bypassed.

My understanding is, as a connection coming into a sql server instance, if it is not using dynamic ports, and not using the default port, I MUST KNOW the port SQL Server is listening on and use that port in my connection string to make a succesfful connection.
-- Yes

-- yes, its not needed for a static port.
Post #1341658
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:15 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 12:45 PM
Keep in mind that should you ever need to use the dedicated admin connection, the browser service will need to be running and 1434 will need to be accessible.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1341662
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:17 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:46 AM
Firstly, are these questions related to firewall configuration for a SQL server instance?

alanspeckman (8/7/2012)
If I am using dynamic port settings on my sql server instance, I need the sql browser service to run and listen over port 1434 for incoming requests.

Yes and this is really the only way as the dynamic port could change each time the instance restarts

alanspeckman (8/7/2012)

If I am using a static default port of 1433, the browser service is not needed.

That is correct

alanspeckman (8/7/2012)
However, if I set a non-default port, say 1638, for my SQL server to listen over, do I need the SQL Browser to listen for incoming requests, so it can look up 1638???

If you'll be connecting directly to the IP,port then you don't need the browser service, it's only needed when connecting using the instance name

alanspeckman (8/7/2012)

See above

alanspeckman (8/7/2012)

No, although it is only really more relevant when dynamic ports are used as they can change at any restart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1341692
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:12 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

SQLRNNR (8/7/2012)
Keep in mind that should you ever need to use the dedicated admin connection, the browser service will need to be running and 1434 will need to be accessible.

Didn't know that, thanks!
Post #1341896
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:24 AM
SSC Journeyman

So,

Browser service needed:
1. If connecting using only the instance name with a non-standard port
2. If connecting to an instance that uses dynamic ports, such as a named instance because it is configured to use dynamic ports initially when installed.

Browser service not needed
1. If connected to an instance using standard port 1433?
2. If using the IP address and the port number of the sql server instance.

Is #1 in both categories above correct? If not, can you please correct me?

Thanks,
Alan.
Post #1342685
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2012 11:28 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

alanspeckman (8/9/2012)
So,

Browser service needed:
1. If connecting using only the instance name with a non-standard port
2. If connecting to an instance that uses dynamic ports, such as a named instance because it is configured to use dynamic ports initially when installed.

yes and yes

alanspeckman (8/9/2012)
Browser service not needed
1. If connected to an instance using standard port 1433?
2. If using the IP address and the port number of the sql server instance.

Is #1 in both categories above correct? If not, can you please correct me?

Thanks,
Alan.

again, yes and yes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1342877
Posted Monday, August 13, 2012 1:10 PM
SSC Journeyman

Thank you all for reading and thank you Perry for your replies. Great community here.

One last question.

Is it possible for 2 SQL Server instances running on the same server to share the same port? I have tested this and it isn't possible from what I have tested so far.

Is it possible?
Post #1344379
Posted Monday, August 13, 2012 2:57 PM

SSCertifiable

alanspeckman (8/13/2012)
Thank you all for reading and thank you Perry for your replies. Great community here.

One last question.

Is it possible for 2 SQL Server instances running on the same server to share the same port? I have tested this and it isn't possible from what I have tested so far.

Is it possible?

No, they would need a separate IP address stacked on the NIC or a totally separate NIC

For example if i have a server with a single NIC, i have 2 IP addresses stacked as

10.10.10.41 255.255.255.0
10.10.10.42 255.255.255.0

i could then set one instance to listen on

10.10.10.41, 1433

and another on

10.10.10.42, 1433

Post #1344436
Posted Monday, August 13, 2012 5:37 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 3:04 PM
At the risk of adding confusion you can connect to an instance using a nonstandard (not dynamic) port and the server name without the browser service.

example: Servername.domainname\instancename,port_number

Post #1344492
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse