Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Security - Owned Schemas Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:20 AM
Hi All

I'm trying to understand something regarding SQL Server security

If I have a SQL Login and that Login is also a user on a database. What happens when that user owns schemas in the Database? What does that mean?

Thanks
Post #1341019
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:55 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 11:25 AM
SQLSACT (8/7/2012)
Hi All

If I have a SQL Login and that Login is also a user on a database. What happens when that user owns schemas in the Database? What does that mean?

Thanks

It means they can create objects within that schema under that login, as well as access anything that the owner of the schema can with 'execute as owner' (the default if unspecified). So, if the schema owner were a DBO or had data_reader on dbo tables, anything created in that schema would inherit the rights.

It gets complicated from there.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1342033
Posted Friday, August 10, 2012 4:36 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:20 AM
Evil Kraig F (8/8/2012)
SQLSACT (8/7/2012)
Hi All

Thanks

It means they can create objects within that schema under that login, as well as access anything that the owner of the schema can with 'execute as owner' (the default if unspecified). So, if the schema owner were a DBO or had data_reader on dbo tables, anything created in that schema would inherit the rights.

It gets complicated from there.

Thanks

I have a lot to learn about this
Post #1343263
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse